MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 27TH APRIL 2022

Held at the Parish Hall and virtually on-line over video /telephone conferencing

 

Present

Cllrs. Mr Frank Hemming (FH) - Chairman,       Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),               Mr Terry Evans (TE),

Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH),                          Mrs Dot Griffiths (DG),            Mr Brian Colley (BC),                                          Miss Lynne Painter (LP),                                        Mrs Deborah Cooke (DC),       Mr Mark Roberts (MR),         

Mrs Sarah Williams (SW),                                  Mr Mark Holmes (MH),           Mr Newman James (NJ)

 

Also in attendance:

Mrs Karen Brown (KB) - Clerk to the Council,  

Mrs Rebecca Ap Gwyn (RAG) – Administration Officer   

 

 

163.

To Accept Apologies for Absence

Cllr Gareth Baines is currently suspended.

Apologies were received from Cllrs Chris Burgoyne and Michael Maxfield.

Condolences were noted for Cllr Maxfield for the loss of his brother Colin.

 

164.

To make Declarations of Interest on items on the agenda

SW noted an interest.

 

165.

To confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the Council meeting held on 30th March 2022.

JA asked for increase in fees to be an addendum to the minutes. Clerk to action.

BH noted a spelling error on point 149. Clerk to amend.

 

Item 151 – Chirk Carnival - JA asked about ticketing as the park is unable to close to the public.  JA recorded her concern that the jousting will ruin the field. The Clerk and FH have received a written agreement that the field will be fully restored after the event. JA asked about the covenant and whether we can charge for people to access the Recreation Ground? The Clerk advised that the Carnival will not occupy the whole park and that there will still be an area of the recreation ground open to the public for dog walking, skate park, play area etc.

 

BH asked for an update on the marquee for school’s use. FH advised a DJ had been booked for a school disco.

 

Item 155 - FH had spoken to the planning officer regarding the traveller site again due to ongoing issues with drainage, sewerage etc.

 

MR proposed the minutes to be a true account.  BC seconded, all agreed.

 

166.

To confirm and sign the minutes from the Finance Committee held on 29th March 2022.

BC asked for update on the insurance.  The Clerk has yet to check the policy.

 

BC proposed the minutes to be a true account.  JA seconded, all agreed.

 

 

167.

To confirm and sign the minutes from the Staffing & Policies Committee held on 29th March 2022.

SW proposed the minutes as a true account.  JA seconded, all agreed.

 

168.

To consider any matters arising from the Minutes received above not reported elsewhere.

None noted.

 

169.

To note planning applications dealt through the Planning Committee

The Planning Committee have received the following applications which received no objections:

 

·         P/2022/0352 - Conversion of building to dwelling.  Blaenau Uchaf, Froncysyllte, Wrexham.

·         P/2022/0364 - Extension to building, Siting of shipping container and External Works - McDonalds Chirk

 

The Planning Committee have received the following application which the Committee wish to have a site visit and meeting before comment:

 

·         P/2022/0336 - Demolition of Reception Building and Erection of covered loading yard, Reception Building and associated fencing and Ancillary works.  Kronospan Ltd

 

The Clerk advised that the site visit dates had been proposed and will be sent to Councillors.  An extension for comment has been given by WCBC planning officer. JA asked that all Kronospan planning applications were dealt with at a meeting with the Planning Committee.

 

170.

To receive oral reports from Council Representatives

BC reported that £200 was transferred to the Council for the Community Cupboard from a raffle held at Caffi Wylfa.

BC highlighted that there is a fun day on 30th April 2022 at Caffi Wylfa in aid of Nightingale House Hospice.

Glyn Wylfa are currently in touch with Chirk Carnival regarding a sponsorship deal.

 

DC gave an update on the Carnival and asked for help from Councillors to speak to groups and businesses for support.

 

DC confirmed that over £500 had been raised from the Easter Bingo and Fayre which will be split between the community cupboard and festive lights.

 

JA informed Council that the health surgeries hosted at the Parish Hall had been busy and raised some concerns which have been escalated.  JA advised more surgeries will take place.

 

171.

To receive oral reports from Local Members – Wrexham CBC.

Reports were given in the Annual Community meeting.

 

172.

To discuss and agree final plans for the Queens Jubilee.

St Mary’s Church wishes to collaborate with the Council and do a Songs of Praise Service on Sunday 5th June at 11am.  The Council are to nominate two representatives to present a reading following the election.

 

Bunting is wanted across Chirk, Pentre and Black Park. TE asked if it is more financially viable to have bunting just in the town.  Different options were discussed. NJ suggested the Council could provide the Clerk with a budget.  JA propose £750, TE proposed this be increased to £1,000, NJ seconded. The Council agreed to purchase bunting up to £1,000. Action – RAG.

 

Jubilee pin badges as gifts for the children was presented to Council.  SW proposed to purchase slightly more than the number of children in school to allow for Chirk children who go to school elsewhere, MR seconded. All agreed. Clerk to action.

 

The Clerk advised there will be one official Chirk Town Council Jubilee event, which will be a picnic on the recreational ground on Friday 3rd June 2022 from 1pm to 5pm.  SW asked for more entertainment to attract people.  DC agreed to speak to Scott regarding entertainment.

 

DG spoke about the Chirk hospital gardens; a lot of work has been put into the dementia garden.  DG felt more appreciation should be given regarding the work that takes place. The Council acknowledged the work of the group. A brief discussion took place relating to the Circle of Friends Accounts.

 

173.

To receive the report of the Clerk – includes updates, correspondence & speed sign data.

The Clerk gave her report which covered the following points:

·         General Updates

·         H&S update

·         Events 2022

·         Ombudsman

·         Correspondence

·         Active Speed Sign Data

SW asked if the Council could obtain a police speed camera presence , FH advised he had spoken to PCSO Gareth regarding a speed gun and will chase progress.

BC asked if the speed sign could be moved to Station Ave.  JA asked if there was a possibility of the speed sign being run by solar power.

Action – Clerk to look at options for speed restriction, and revisit Kronospan’s offer of a second speed camera.

 

174.

To decide upon appeals for financial assistance received.

1)      World Cup final playoff Big Screen event - JA advised alcohol is banned on the Recreational ground.  SW thought it was a great idea but felt the Council would need to decline due to concerns relating to damage to the field. MH and DC agreed.

NJ proposed that support is declined, JA seconded.  All agreed.

2)      Chirk Fest – The Council wished Chirk Fest well, but due to it not being a charitable event, the Council cannot donate. JA proposed the Council cannot support, BH seconded.  All agreed. 

3)      Appeal for a Tree to be planted.

SW declared an interest – not prejudicial. SW remained in the meeting.

BC was concerned that the type of tree would stand out.  JA asked if it had to be the recreational ground and proposed Millennium Gardens?  NJ asked that Council seek the tree officers recommendation.  NJ proposed that the tree be planted in the best place for the tree.

Council agreed to the planting of the tree.  FH and SW to look into best location.

 

175.

To seek approval of payments made between 25.03.2022 to 31.03.2022 and 01.04.2022 to 10.04.2022.

Payments made from 25.03.2022 – 31.03.2022 were £8,686.17 inc VAT

Payments made from 01.04.2022 – 10.04.2022 were £8,396.45 inc VAT

BC proposed the payments presented be authorised, JA seconded. All agreed.

 

 

 

 

176.

To confirm the date of the AGM following the election and present items for inclusion on the next meeting.

A discussion was held around dates, and it was agreed that Monday 16th May was suitable.  All agreed.  MH sent apologies in advance.

 

PART 2 – CONFIDENTIAL – PRESS & PUBLIC EXCLUDED

 

Recorded separately.

 

Meeting Closed 21:10

 

 

   Signed                                                          Chairman                                                                    Date