MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 26th JANUARY 2022

held virtually on-line over video /telephone conferencing

 

Present

Cllrs. Mr Frank Hemming (FH) - Chairman,       Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),              Mr Gareth Baines (GB),
        Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH),                         Mrs Dot Griffiths (DG),            Mr Terry Evans (TE),    
       Mr Chris Burgoyne (CB),                            
Mr Brian Colley (BC),               Miss Lynne Painter (LP),   
       Mrs Deborah Cooke (DC),                          Mr Newman James (NJ),         Mr Mark Roberts (MR),
       Mrs Sarah Williams (SW).                          Mr Michael Maxfield (MM),

 

Also in attendance:

Mrs Karen Brown (KB) - Clerk to the Council,  

Mrs Rebecca Ap Gwyn (RAG) – Administration Officer   

 

 

109.

To Accept Apologies for Absence

No apologies were received.

 

110.

To make Declarations of Interest on items on the agenda

None.

 

111.

To confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the Council meeting held on 15TH December 2021.

CB entered the meeting.

 

The minutes were reviewed. BC advised that the minutes in item 98 relating to the AVOW grant donated from Caffi Wylfa should state the total amount. All agreed. Action: Clerk to amend.

 

TE proposed with the amendment to item 98 the minutes were a true account, BC seconded. All agreed.

 

112.

To consider any matters arising from the Minutes received above not reported elsewhere

Item 98 - BH asked for update on Newbridge landslide. FH advised that the survey had been done and work was going out to contractors to quote.

 

Item 108 - FH advised that all money from the Celebration Lights Committee had been transferred to the Council.

 

113.

To note planning applications dealt through the Planning Committee.

The Planning Committee had no objection to the following applications:-

·         P/2021/1104   Erection of covered holding yard and all associated works, Halton Farm, Halton, Chirk.

·         P/2021/1101   Change of use of the South Western part of the existing workshop building with associated hard standing at Pen y Bont works, to the repair and maintenance of heavy goods vehicles, including ancillary vehicle parking.  Pen y Bont works, Pentre, Chirk, Wrexham.

·         P/2021/1143   Erection of Slurry store and associated works. Halton Farm, Halton, Chirk.

·         P/2021/1157   Erection of canopy (in retrospect).  Caffi Wylfa, Castle Road, Chirk, Wrexham

·         P/2021/1175   Construction of a new access off a classified highway.  52 Bron y Waun, Chirk, Wrexham

·         P/2022/0004   Erection of a dwelling and formation of vehicular access. 15 George Street, Chirk, Wrexham.

·         P/2022/0021   Variation of condition 03 (Bat conservation plan) of planning permission code No P/2021/0481 Caravan and Motorhome Club, Chirk Castle, Chirk, Wrexham

·         P/2022 /0038  Erection Of A Double Garage, Decking To The South Of The House, New Gates To The End Of Each Drive And A New Boundary Wall To The Road Within Chirk Conservation Area Chain Bank Castle Road Chirk Wrexham

 

114.

To receive oral reports from Local Members – Wrexham CBC.

TE reported:

-          Streetlight outages at Rhos y Waun and outside the Hand Hotel and by aqueduct. All been reported. It is a Scottish Power issue.

JA asked about lights along Holyhead Road – TE advised he would look into this.

Environmental Audit been done.  All issues raised have been dealt with.

FH reported:

-          Potholes down Barracks Lane have been reported.

-          Access to the hospital - visitors leaving hospital and going wrong way around the one way system.  Written to see if No entry can be painted on the ground. SW asked if a sign at the hospital would be better. FH has put it to Highways.

-          FH had a lot of requests for new driveways

 

JA advised that Castle Road is so busy with all the large vehicles trying to get down and the issues with parking along that road.

 

BH reported that lamppost 26 light is out in Pentre.

 

SW raised West View issue with people blocking the road with cars.

 

115.

To receive oral reports from Council Representatives.

Cllr Roberts entered the meeting.

 

A)     Feedback from Kronospan Liaison Group and next steps.

 

BC recommended that Kronospan be a single agenda item for the General Purposes Committee to be accepted by Council.

JA feedback that Kronospan would consider proposals within a fortnight relating to all concerns raised.  The Liaison Group asked for a new numbering system for clearer complaint recording. Chirk Town Council requested that the Council’s report is a standard agenda item on future Liaison Group meetings and this was agreed. The Council will need to meet one week before to write its report.

 

BC had a second meeting with Lawrence Isted at Wrexham Council.   Noise, dust and odour were again discussed. Chris Emery advised they have installed an air technology blower to reduce the dust into the environment.  With regard to noise WCBC and Kronospan suggested this had not been evidenced.  Chris Emery said noise complaints should be reported any time of the day or night to be investigated at the time. BC introduced the theme of wellbeing for Chirk residents and stated that residents have the right to quiet enjoyment.

 

The Clerk advised that she is agreeing a suitable date with Toby Zorn from Wrexham Council to attend the General Purposes Committee to help Councillors understand the monitoring equipment data.

 

TE reported that Public Protection have stated the monitoring equipment at the School is faulty.

TE also added that there is noise during the night and it usually stops at 7am.

 

116.

To consider proposal for 147@The Parish

DC proposed to start a new youth initiative as per the paper shared with Members.  DC is looking for volunteers to help to teach Snooker.  Controlled group of no more than six young people at each session aged 10-16.

 

JA mentioned that a museum initiative was to go to a General Purposes Committee and hasn’t yet. Concerned that too much is going on at a reduced rate at the Parish Hall.  Does not feel that Caretakers would want to work with youths.  Does not want a full youth club in the Parish Hall and does not want the Council Chamber being used by youths as it is an important room.

 

SW mentioned that Ballet Pod and other groups also used Council Chamber, so not just Council.

 

BH asked that this proposal is considered further along with Museum.

 

DG not happy with proposal at all, too much risk of damage, already provide recreational grounds for the youth and concerns with Covid and the Rainbow centre.

 

GB said that there were more concerns to be raised like DBS checks.  FH advised this was in hand.

 

DC stated that it is aimed at youth mental health and youths are do not like to engage with larger team sports.  Safeguarding training will be undertaken in March. DC confirmed that DBS checks, safeguarding training and risk assessment all needed to be in place before this can start. There is no cost to the Council.

 

NJ proposes that Council supports the idea.

 

DC proposed to start a new youth initiative, BC seconded. The Council voted with a majority in favour. 3 abstained. Motion carried.

 

117.

To appoint JDH Business Services Ltd as Internal Auditors 2021/22

The Clerk advised that this had been looked at by Finance Committee and recommended.

GB proposed to appoint JDH Business Services, CB seconded. All agreed.

 

119.

To note the Local Government and Elections Wales Act guidance consultation.

The Clerk gave a verbal summary on the key points within the guidance.  This was to make Councillors aware of the new changes in legislation and that the consultation is live.  Closing date is 17th  March 2022.

 

120.

To consider Chirk Town Council Priorities for 2022/2023..

The new legislation requires the Council to produce an Annual report which must contain the Town Council priorities. FH asked if it could go to General Purposes Committee to be discussed further.  JA seconded. All agreed.

Action: To be added to future meeting.

 

121.

 

 

To receive the report of the Clerk – includes updates, correspondence & speed sign data.

The Clerk highlighted key points from the written report. 

-          Hybrid technology has been installed today. 

-          Website order has been placed.  Awaiting start date which will give us a template site.

-          Pentre adventure tail has been installed.  A lot of work from volunteers in Pentre who helps with removal of old trail.

-          Archwood have installed new Community Food Cupboards in meeting room 1.

-          Litter bins have been installed from the 2020 order that was placed.

-          Millennium gardens work is being started on Friday.

-          Chairmans photos have been taken, need to be printed, framed and hung.

-          H&S update

 

SW asked if photos of the Pentre play equipment could be taken to share on Facebook page. Clerk to Action.

 

CB asked if there were any actions to be undertaken for the Asbestos survey that was completed end of October.  Clerk reported there were 4 or 5 medium risks items and the full report will be shared.

 

TE asked for update on Chapel Lane fence.  Clerk advised that she was awaiting a quote.

 

122.

To decide upon appeals for financial assistance received.

The Council considered the following appeals.

·         Hayley Garrod – Chirk Swift and House Martin Project. JA propose not to make a financial contribution.  BC proposed to support by supplying nest boxes rather than financial. All agreed.

·         Family Friends - SW proposed £100, MM seconded. All agreed.

 

123.

To seek approval of payments made between 18/11/2021 to 18/01/2022

 

A list of payments between 18.11.2021 to 18.01.22 amounting to £31,436.34 (including VAT) was presented to the Council.  SW proposed and JA seconded that the payments be approved. Unanimously agreed.

 

 

122.

To confirm date of next ordinary Council meeting as 16th February 2022 and present items for inclusion on the agenda.

DC asked that there be an agenda item on celebrations of Queens Jubilee and also easter events

 

JA asked for the museum to be placed on future General Purposes Committee.

 

GB asked for update regarding renovations to the Cenotaph

 

BC asked for a review of the Surgery challenges residents were facing. Action: Clerk to share recent response from the Surgery to all Councillors.

 

16th February agreed to be next full Council date.

 


 

 

Meeting closed 20:30  

 

   Signed                                                          Chairman                                                                    Date