MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 28th APRIL 2021

held virtually on-line over video /telephone conferencing

 

Present

Cllrs. Mr Brian Colley (BC) - Chairman,             Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),              Mr Gareth Baines (GB),

Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH),                          Mrs Sarah Williams (SW),       Mrs Dot Griffiths (DG),

Mr Terry Evans (TE),                                          Mr Chris Burgoyne (CB),         Mr Frank Hemmings (FH),

Mr Mark Holmes (MH)                                      Miss Lynne Painter (LP),          Mr Newman James (NJ),

 

Also in attendance:

Mrs Karen Brown (KB) - Clerk to the Council,  

Mrs Rebecca Ap Gwyn (RAG) – Administration Officer

 

 

109.

To Accept Apologies for Absence

Apologies were presented and accepted from Cllrs Michael Maxfield and Mark Roberts.

 

110.

To make Declarations of Interest on items on the agenda

None.

 

111.

To confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the Ordinary Meeting held on 24th March  2021

The minutes from the last meeting were reviewed. TE stated that in item 98 it should read ‘dust and chemical smell’. With this amendment FH proposed the minutes be approved as a true account. JA seconded the proposal. All agreed.

 

112.

To consider any matters arising from the minutes received above not reported elsewhere

Item 98/82 – Kronospan – The Clerk reported that a letter had been sent and a date for the Liaison group meeting had now been agreed. However there was no response from them relating to the land opposite Wern. TE added that it looked like the trees had now been planted.

 

The Council noted their disappointment and questioned why Kronospan consulted with residents only to completely disregard the results. FH suggested trying to establish what had been planted.

 

Item 98/86 – Longfields playing field – Action outstanding.

 

Item 98 / 87 – Street lighting – MH, FH & KB had a meeting with Highline Electrical (who manage 30 other Councils’ lighting) regarding a second opinion on the footway lighting in Chirk. FH is in early discussion with Wrexham Council about trialling a different lamp on one lamp post in Lodgevale. Going forward, there are many options available but the trial needs to be undertaken first and more information gathered from WCBC. MH had done a quick calculation on the cost of the lighting and there is potential to save Council Tax money in the future. Members will keep Council updated after the trial has taken place.

 

Item 101 – FH reported on the:

-          Successful litter picking day where 50 empty bottles were collected from outside Kronospan.

-          Pentre traffic lights had been changed to permanently supported which had much improved the traffic flow situation.

-          An Engineer had been to visit Lodgevale in relation to the flooding; Wrexham Council is awaiting the report.

-          Dog fouling signs had been purchased and installed. SW asked where is the enforcement and who do we pass information onto? DG noted that people are not respecting the clean up. JA suggested a local by-law for dog fouling and a feature article in the press explaining the reasons. JA proposed to discuss litter and dog fouling  at a future General Purposes Committee, FH seconded the proposal, all agreed. Clerk to action.

 

Item 103 – Play Development Team – following an approach from a resident SW reported that she had obtained further information about the Play Development Team. Wrexham Play team had provided evaluation data on the previous play session as well as costing for this financial year which ranged from £2,550 up to £7,500 depending on the number of weeks the play team would be operating. JA proposed to take this matter no further based on the costing. SW seconded. All agreed.

 

105 – Removal of goal posts – There had been a number of complaints about the removal of the goal posts. It was confirmed that they were removed due to being unsafe. Replacements will be discussed at a future General Purposes Committee. Clerk to action.

 

113.

To confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the Planning Committee held on 24th March 2021

The minutes of the Planning Committee from 24/03/2021 were reviewed. BH proposed the minutes as a true account, SW seconded, All agreed. Minutes approved.

 

114.

To note planning applications dealt through the Planning Committee

The Planning Committee had no objections to:

• P/2021/0230 - Single Storey Side Extension 10 Sycamore Drive Chirk Wrexham.

• P/2021/0314 - Single Storey Side Extension And Installation Of Pitched Roof To Existing Garage 2 Offa Lodgevale Park Chirk 

The Council noted these.

 

The Planning Committee had not reached a decision on the following applications so required Council approval.

 

FH declared an interest due to being on the Wrexham Planning Committee.

 

Grant Of Premise License - Application For Grant Of A Premise Licence Under The Licensing Act 2003 Hotel   Narrowboats Limited, Chirk Marina, Chirk Road, Chirk, Wrexham, LL14 5AD . JA proposed, TE seconded no objection. Agreed by Council.

 

• P/2021/0249 - Outline Application For The Erection Of Drive Thru Coffee Shop With Parking And Associated Works And Erection Of Electric Vehicle Service Area Land At The Rear Of McDonalds Chirk Park Halton Chirk. JA proposed, GB seconded no objection. Agreed by Council.

 

• P/2021/0275 - Ground Floor Side Extension  82 Bron Y Waun Chirk Wrexham. NJ proposed, TE seconded no objection. Agreed by Council.

 

GB asked about the Welsh Dragon development at Halton, the extended planning permission expires in January 2022. GB proposed to discuss at a future meeting.

 

 

115.

To receive oral reports from Council Representatives

It was agreed to leave this item to the Annual Town Meeting which will be held following this meeting commencing at 7pm.

 

116.

To receive oral reports from Local Members – Wrexham CBC

It was agreed to leave this item to the Annual Town Meeting which will be held following this meeting commencing at 7pm.

 

117.

To receive an information report from the Community Agent

The report was circulated to Councillors and the Clerk gave a brief overview. Members were pleased that the Community Food Cupboard was successful. FH proposed a vote of thanks to Yvie and the volunteers, DG seconded and all agreed.

Action: Clerk to send a letter of thanks on behalf of the Council.

 

The Clerk sought permission from the Council to sign the 2021/22 Community Agent Service Level Agreement contract which is a one year extension and the contract remains the same.  SW proposed to sign the contract, BH seconded. Agreed.

Action: Clerk to sign and submit contract to Wrexham.

 

118.

To approve the Operation London Bridge Action Plan

The Clerk presented the final Operation London Bridge plan. NJ proposed to adopt the plan and action at the appropriate time. JA seconded. Council agreed.

 

119.

To note the implementation of the Local Government And Elections (Wales) Act 2021

The Clerk provided a brief overview of the new Act, key points highlighted:

From May 2021:

-          16 & 17 year olds and EU citizens can vote in elections.

-          The electoral cycle for principle, town and community councils changes from four to five years.

-          Council staff will be entitled to stand for election to their own council.

-          Amendments to the disqualification criteria for standing as a councillor.

-          The council, if eligible, can have General Powers of Competence allowing amongst other things the power to trade.

-          Eligibility for a council to have General Powers of Competence will mean at least two-thirds of the total members are elected, the clerk to the council is qualified and the council has two unqualified audits.

-          Councils should enable public participation to take place.

-          Access to meetings – multi location, virtual and hybrid will be allowed along with the electronic publication of documents.

-          Information relating to attendance, declaration of interest and any decisions taken must be published on website within seven days of a meeting.

From May 2022:

-          Council meetings must give members of the public in attendance reasonable opportunity to make representation about any business being discussed.

-          The council will have a duty to prepare and publish a report about the council priorities, activities and achievements.

-          The council will have a duty to consider training and publish the training plans by November 2022.

 

The Clerk highlighted the need for Council to consider at a future meeting how hybrid meetings may take place.

 

120.

 

To receive the report of the Clerk – includes updates, correspondence & speed sign data

The Clerk presented her report. The public notice of the co-option vacancy for a new Councillor is now live with a closing date of 17th May. The Clerk will call a special Council meeting following this date to make an appropriate appointment.  

 

The Welsh Government has announced that community centres will be able to re-open in May for  limited groups, so preparation is under way to ensure the Parish Hall is ready to welcome back bookings. Three dance groups have already confirmed their return.

 

DG highlighted that the Covid 19 memorial bench has been completed and is ready to be installed. Council discussed a date for the official opening of the bench and agreed Friday 21st May 2021.

Action: DG, KB, RAG & BC to finalise plans, timings and invites.

 

The speed sign data was noted.

 

121.

To decide upon appeals for financial assistance received

There were no requests this month.

 

122.

 

To seek approval of payments made between 25.03.2021 to 23.04.2021

The Clerk sought to postpone approval of payments to the next meeting, due to closing down the 2020/21 financial year end, payments relating to April 2021 had not yet been entered onto the system. The Clerk noted that all payments are authorised by two bank signatories prior to payment as previously discussed.

Action: To agenda payment approval for next meeting. 

 

123.

To present items for inclusion on the next agenda

Car parking at weekends – 17 slots taken up by off road bikers.

 

 

 

Meeting closed 19:02

 

      

 

 

 

Signed                                        Chairman                                                                    Date