MINUTES OF THE GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 8th JUNE 2020

held virtually on-line over video /telephone conferencing

 

Present

Cllrs Mr Brian Colley (BC),     Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),             Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH),

Mr Michael Maxfield (MM)     Mrs Sarah Williams (SW),      Mr Gareth Baines (GB),                         Mr Frank Hemmings (FH)            Ms Eleanor Burnham (EB),    Mrs Dorothy Griffiths (DG),

Mr Mark Holmes (MH).           Miss Lynne Painter (LP)         Mr Chris Burgoyne (CB),

Mr Newman James (NJ),

Mrs Karen Brown (KB), Clerk to the Council.

 

BC welcomed all to the meeting and reminded Members of the new remote meeting protocols.

 

  1. APOLOGIES
    None. Not in attendance / belated apologies received from Cllrs. Mr Mark Roberts & Mr Terry Evans.

 

  1. DECLARATION OF INTEREST

None. 

 

3.    REVIEW OF GOVERNMENT ADVICE RELATING TO COVID-19 LOCKDOWN AND CONSIDER:

a.    Operations of the Parish Hall

Following the latest Welsh Government review, as circulated to all Members on Friday 29th May 2020, the Parish Hall must remain closed. Members discussed reviewing this every three weeks in line with the Government’s reviews. The next Government review is scheduled for 18th/19th June 2020 and the Council will meet the following week.

 

Members asked if the Council was eligible for the Business Rate Grant for the Parish Hall, due to its loss of income. KB confirmed that as the Council receives public funding via the precept, the Council is not entitled to claim any Government grants (or furlough staff) as this is classed as double public funding. Wrexham Council are legally bound to pay the requested precept, however the Parish Hall hire income will be affected, but this will be offset a little by reduced staffing and energy costs.

 

LP asked what Wrexham Council are doing with their community buildings? FH confirmed that they are all closed and are reviewed along with all services every three weeks.

 

GB proposed to move from monthly to three weekly reviews of the Parish Hall, FH seconded the proposal. All agreed.

Action: Clerk to arrange next review for w/c 22/06/2020.  

 

b. Operations of Council Business

A discussion was held about the remote meetings. Whilst it was acknowledged it is not ideal, Members felt confident about using Zoom and also about returning to normal business. FH added that Wrexham Council are back to full business using Zoom.

 

FH proposed to return to full Council meetings from June 2020. GB seconded the proposal. All agreed.

 

The Clerk stated that she is on track to seek approval of the 2019/20 accounts at the June meeting.

 

AGM

Members sought clarification as to when Council will be returning to full Council business, also when will the AGM be taking place and how does voting take place remotely? JA explained how other Councils have operated the AGM voting. MH suggested that our process be agreed at the June meeting. BC stated that we should have a written protocol for this process, and proposed that this is brought to the June meeting followed by the AGM in July. MH seconded this proposal. All agreed.

Action: Clerk to present remote AGM voting protocol to the June meeting.   

 

4.    ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEM – YSGOL Y WAUN LEAVERS GIFT

SW asked the Council to consider purchasing hoodies instead of a book voucher. The hoodies would have every child’s name printed on the back and the year ‘2020’. SW added that as this is an exceptional year and as the pupils will not have the usual leaving celebration this would be a special one off gift.

 

Concerns were raised over the additional cost and that it did not meet the criteria of the gift which is a learning keepsake. BH confirmed that Pentre had purchased the hoodies but parents fundraised for these each year. MH suggested a T-shirt signed by all could be a cheaper alternative. After a detailed discussion LP proposed a budget of £15 per pupil and SW to see what she could get for this budget. This was seconded by GB and all agreed due to it being a special year.

 

 

5.    NON AGENDA ITEMS

·         JA requested paper copies of all meeting papers.

Action: Clerk to assess who requires a printed meeting pack.

·         EB highlighted the terrible Broadband issues within Chirk, which is not up to the mark during this lockdown period. It was agreed that the Clerk write to BT Openreach to complain about the service to residents and members. Action: Clerk to write to BT.

·         DG asked for clarity on purchasing laptop/mobile devices for members? BC confirmed that there had been no approval given.

·         JA reported that the Chirk Environmental Liaison Group new Terms of Reference have been worked on and will be finalised by the end of June.

·         MH reported that bins at the top park are overflowing. Action: Clerk to get caretakers to increase bin emptying.

·         There had been numerous complaints about the lack of grass cutting across Chirk. FH confirmed that Wrexham had resumed grass cutting.

·         Traffic lights out at Rhos Y Waun shops.

·         CCTV – the Clerk updated Members on the current situation relating to Scottish Power and also confirmed that the CCTV footage of the youths who sprayed the skate park has been forwarded to North Wales Police.

 

 

 

Meeting closed 8:10pm

 

 

Signed                                    Chairman                                                              Date