MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 16th DECEMBER 2020

held virtually on-line over video /telephone conferencing

 

Present

Cllrs. Mr Brian Colley (BC) - Chairman,             Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),              Mr Gareth Baines (GB),

Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH),                          Mr Newman James (NJ),         Mrs Sarah Williams (SW),

Ms Eleanor Burnham (EB),                                Mrs Dot Griffiths (DG),            Mr Terry Evans (TE),    

Mr Chris Burgoyne (CB),                                   Mr Michael Maxfield (MM),     Mr Frank Hemmings (FH),

 

Also in attendance:

Mrs Karen Brown (KB) - Clerk to the Council,                                        

Mrs Rebecca Ap Gwyn (RAG) – Administration Officer

 

 

56.

To Accept Apologies for Absence

Apologies for absence were received and accepted from Cllrs. Miss Lynne Painter and Mr Mark Roberts.

 

57.

To make Declarations of Interest on items on the agenda
None.

 

58.

To confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the Ordinary Meeting held on 25th November 2020

The minutes were reviewed. GB proposed the minutes as a true account, FH seconded, all agreed.

 

59.

To consider any matters arising from the minutes received above not reported elsewhere

Item 43 – Surgery – The Clerk reported that Dr Chris Stockport from BCUHB had acknowledged our letter and said that he would investigate before a full response is made.

Item 47 – Community Agent Christmas Hampers – Members on the panel reported that the process to agree nominations was successful.

Item 48 – Clogged drains – TE reported the drain by the Hand Hotel to Wrexham Council. JA reported that the wagon cleaning the drain had arrived that evening.  MH asked about the road sweeping. FH reported that the road sweeper had spent two days in Chirk. Members queried if this included Pentre and Black Park. FH agreed to check with Wrexham.

 

60.

To receive the report from the Finance Committee held on 9th December 2020

The Finance Committee report was presented to Council. JA proposed the report as a true account, GB seconded. All agreed.

The Clerk highlighted the 2019-20 External Audit – Conclusion of Audit (which had been circulated to all) and reported that the Council had received a qualified audit due to not publishing Committee minutes on our website. This will be resolved with the new website. The Council acknowledged the content of the audit report.  

 

61.

To consider Budget for 2021/22.

The Clerk took members through key budget considerations which had been addressed by the Finance Committee. The budget presented covered the three agreed Council priorities whilst keeping the precept as low as possible. There were no questions. NJ thanked the Finance Committee members for their work on the 2021/22 budget. FH recommended to Council that the budget be agreed as presented. NJ seconded the proposal. The Council unanimously agreed the 2021/22 budget.

 

62.

To agree the Precept for Chirk Town Council for 2021/22

The precept within the agreed budget is £120,154 (compared to £119,420 in 2020/21). This is an overall increase of 0.61%. The Band D tax base works out at £72.73 (compared to £71.77 in 2020/21),  this is a household increase of 0.96 pence for the year.

FH proposed to set the precept at £120,154. NJ seconded the proposal. The Council unanimously agreed.

Action: Clerk to submit the Precept paperwork to Wrexham Council.

 

63.

To decide upon appeals for financial assistance received

·         Chirk Playgroup –  It was noted that that legally the Council cannot support staff wages. It is not a hardship grant. JA proposed that this request is not supported. TE seconded the proposal. The Council did feel for the Playgroup’s situation and wanted to advise them where they could try to seek grant funding from e.g. Family Information Service, Wrexham Council Business Support Department, AVOW etc.

Action: Clerk to telephone the playgroup with the outcome and discuss other support sources.

·         Chirk AAA’s – MH declared an interest. Members discussed the appeal in detail. FH proposed to support with £500, NJ seconded the proposal. JA amended the proposal to support with £250, seconded by BH.  The amendment was defeated. There was a majority vote for the £500 support and the motion carried. 

Action: Clerk to notify all.

 

TE discussed if the Council should have some mechanism in relation to annual appeals? NJ thought this should be considered at a General Purposes Committee and this was supported.

 

64.

To receive the oral report of the Clerk – includes correspondence.

The Clerk provided a verbal update on the following areas:

·         Parish Hall opening and closing over Christmas and the changes due to Covid lockdown. It was proposed to close the Parish Hall indefinitely from Friday 18th December 2020. JA supported the proposal, NJ seconded, all agreed.

·         Electrical works have been completed.

·         The lift is out of order

·         New Wales audit arrangements to commence from April 2021, moving to a 1 in 3 year more detailed audit. Chirk will be in the first round. Further information to follow.

·         Annual leave of staff over the Christmas period.

 

The Clerk proposed that the two extra Statutory leave days are 24th and 31st December 2020 as per previous years. The Council agreed to these dates.

 

65.

To present items for inclusion on the next agenda

Members requested that Parking is discussed at the next meeting. Members highlighted a number of concerns, parking on the pavement outside the Castle Tandoori and Colliery Road where there had been an incident when Fire Engine could not get through due to the car parking illegally. It was agreed that a standard letter be sent to all business.

Action: Clerk to write and issue a letter to business on High Street and Colliery Road.

 

SW asked if the speed sign could be moved back to Lodgevale. It was confirmed that it was due to go to Pentre next. This was accepted.

 

 

 

 

Non Agenda Item

EB submitted her resignation as Councillor. She thanked everyone for the opportunity to represent the community. The Chairman, on behalf of the Council thanked EB for her years of service. Thanks was shared by all.

 

BC wished all Members a Merry Christmas.

 

  

Meeting closed    20:05

 

 

         

 

Signed                                        Chairman                                                                    Date