MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD 29th July 2020

held virtually on-line over video /telephone conferencing

 

Present

Cllrs. Mr Brian Colley (BC) - Chairman,           Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),             Mr Gareth Baines (GB),

Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH),                         Mr Mark Roberts (MR)           Mr Chris Burgoyne (CB),

Mr Newman James (NJ),                                  Mrs Sarah Williams (SW),      Ms Eleanor Burnham (EB), Mrs Dot Griffiths (DG),                                      Mr Frank Hemmings (FH),      Miss Lynne Painter (LP),

Mr Terry Evans (TE)                                        Mr Mark Holmes (MH)

Mrs Karen Brown (KB) - Clerk to the Council. 

Mr Jack Butler (JB) – Press – NWN

 

176. To accept apologies for absence

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Michael Maxfield.

 

177.   Declarations of interest
None.

 

178.   To confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the ordinary Council meeting held on 24th June 2020

Minutes were reviewed.

Item 165 - It was felt this point required further clarification in relation to the approval of the financial regulations.  Therefore item 165 was amended to read as follows: The current financial regulations were re-adopted with minor amendment with the agreement that the new model financial regulations will be adopted in the Autumn 2020.

With this clarification, the minutes were proposed by JA and seconded by DG as a true account of the meeting. Unanimously agreed.

 

179.   To confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the Extra Ordinary Council meeting held on 15th July 2020

Minutes were reviewed; JA proposed the minutes were a true account. NJ seconded and unanimously agreed by all.

 

180.   To consider any matters arising from the Minutes received above not reported elsewhere.

Item 163 – Karate mats – NJ confirmed the Karate mats had been removed from the Parish Hall.

Item 163 – Pharmacy – Members noted that the situation has improved. However concerns were raised about how the Pharmacy would operate during the winter and colder months. There were also concerns over the Surgery. Many views and concerns were expressed and it was proposed by EB and seconded by DG that the Chair and Vice Chair meet with the Practice Manager to share the concerns of the community. All agreed.

Item 164 - Kronospan meeting – JA confirmed that the planned meeting on 25/06/2020, to which the Chairman was invited, did not go ahead. 

Item 173 – Donation towards WW2 book – the Clerk reported that Mr Greasley had advised that any surplus funds were being given to the Royal British Legion. The Council did not want the funds going to RBL Whitehall, but were happy for the funds to go to the local Chirk Branch. Concerns were raised as to whether the Chirk Branch was dormant. Action: Clerk to establish if funds can go to the Chirk Branch. If this was possible the Council were happy to award the funds for the book.

 

181.    To receive the report from the Staffing & Policies Committee meeting held on 15th July 2020 and agree the following recommendations:

The report from the Staffing and Policies Committee was presented to Council and the Committee’s recommendations were proposed:

 

a)     To agree additional hours for Community Agent

EB proposed the 20 hours for August and September 2020 and JA seconded. Unanimously agreed. GB stated that the Council need to be planning for the autumn.

 

b)     To adopt the Covid-19 Workplace Safety Risk Assessment & Coronavirus Safety Policy

JA proposed to adopt the Covid-19 Workplace Risk Assessment and Policy. GB seconded, all agreed.

 

c)     To agree the new admin post hourly rate

JA proposed the hourly rate of the admin post be set at £10.16/hr (Point 7). Seconded by MR, Unanimously agreed.  

GB asked how this post will be advertised. The Clerk confirmed that this hadn’t been agreed as yet as it will form part of the recruitment committee’s plan. The recruitment committee comprises of LP, FH, CB & KB.

 

182.    To consider Neighbourhood Policing matters (includes Active Speed Sign) and future reporting of Police matters.

The Clerk reported that the way the Council receives Police information has changed over the past six months; the local crime figures are now available on-line, the PCSO’s are no longer attending meetings, the Council receives regular email briefings from North Wales Police Wrexham Rural and the Inspectors meetings with Chairs of Community/Town Councils are working well.  Therefore the Clerk suggested if the Council would consider dropping the Neighbourhood policing matters as a standard agenda item. Discussion took place about reporting of specific incidents. The Clerk reported that any serious items would either be a specific agenda item, or general updates along with the speed sign data would be contained within the Clerk’s report. JA proposed to drop neighbourhood policing matter as a standard agenda item. FH seconded and all agreed.

 

Speed Sign Data - The latest data from Chirk Bank was reviewed. It showed that only 0.06% were over the speed limit, and the V85 (the 85th percentile of drivers are travelling at) was 31mph. It was agreed by Council that the speed sign be relocated. The next location identified was Pentre, but due to the six week road closure, it was agreed that the speed sign be located elsewhere. The PCSO’s had suggested Station Avenue. MR confirmed it was an easy job to move the sign once the brackets were in place. The Clerk confirmed that we only had one bracket left. GB proposed to purchase additional brackets, MR seconded the proposal, all agreed. Action: Clerk to purchase additional brackets.

 

183.    To receive oral reports from Council Representatives

EB reported that the Scottish Power problem is still ongoing without resolve. TE confirmed that Scottish Power are waiting for a licence to dig up the road. SW asked who would be liable if an accident occurred along the affected section of road as it is very dangerous being so dark.  

 

184.    To receive oral reports from Local Members – Wrexham CBC.

TE updated members on the capital works to be undertaken at Station Road. TE had reported the overgrown footpath to the Clerk. Grass cutting has resumed.

 

FH reported that Council meetings are up and running via Zoom. Planning committee meetings have commenced. FH added that he had been busy with Chemist runs.

 

185.    To approve the proposed Terms of Reference of the new Kronospan Liaison Group.

JA provided detailed background information and timeline between 6th February 2020 (just after the fire) to present day to arrive at the draft Terms of Reference. JA had meet with the Chairman this week prior to this meeting to show the audit trail. JA went through each section of the proposed terms of reference and provided information on the changes. JA confirmed that Chirk Environment Liaison Group would be disbanded and replaced with Kronospan Liaison Group. Comments were invited from Chirk Town Council and will be presented to the next meeting in August 2020 when the final terms of reference will be agreed by all stakeholders.

 

Many views were expressed on the suddenness of this change of group – due to the lack of minutes from Wrexham CBC, further comments were made on each section of the proposed terms of reference.

 

After a long discussion the following points were agreed as the Council’s formal response:

·         Meeting Frequency – ‘minimum of quarterly’.

·         Membership – Chirk Town Council Representatives x 4 (Excluding the Wrexham Elected members) (4 including the Chair & Vice Chair).

·         Venue – Neutral venue.

·         Appointment of neutral Chair – Natural Recourses Wales to make nominations only.

·         Name of the Group to be ‘Chirk & Kronospan Environmental Liaison Group’.

The points were re-confirmed by the Clerk, then GB formally proposed as the agreed response. TE seconded and all members agreed.

Action: JA to feedback Chirk Town Council’s response to the group.

 

186.    To receive the report of the Clerk – includes correspondence.

The Clerk presented her report which contained updates since the last meeting, meetings attended, website accessibility and fire risk assessment. The Council discussed the Website Accessibility requirement and the Clerk reported that the Council must produce an accessibility statement showing how the Council will address its website shortfalls. Members felt that whilst we should work to make minor improvements on the current website, a new website would be ideal. Members asked the Clerk to find out who other Councils use for their websites. A bilingual website would be also be advantageous. Translation costs will be added to next year’s budget.

 

The Council is awaiting receipt of the fire risk assessment and once received a special Council meeting will be called in August.

 

187.    To decide upon appeals for financial assistance received.

Hope House Children’s Hospice requested sponsorship towards the Virtual Dark Run Event. GB proposed to support the event with the £500 sponsorship package. TE seconded the proposal. Unanimously agreed.

 

188.    To note Planning applications dealt through the Planning Sub-Committee during March to July 2020.

During the period March – June 2020 the following applications were dealt with remotely and had no objections:

Planning Reference Number P/2020/0142, P/2020/0143, P/2020/0125, P/2020/0179 and P/2020/0141.

 

Now that Wrexham Planning Committee had re-commenced the following applications were due for consideration, members of Chirk Planning Committee recommended no objections to the following.

·         P/2020/0176 6 Crogan, Lodgevale Park, Chirk, Wrexham, LL14 5BN - Sun Room / Conservatory Extension.

·         Premises Licence Teddy Bears Tea Room, 2B Greystones, Church Street, Chirk, Wrexham, LL14 5HA - Application for Grant of a Premises Licence under the Licensing Act 2003

·         P/2020/0279 Land To The Rear Of 5 And 6 New House Lane Pentre Wrexham - two Dwellings And Access Alterations

·         P/2020/0274 Flat At Ty Maen Farm Barn Ty Maen Farm Pentre Chirk - Removal Of Condition 2 (Occupancy Restriction) Of Planning Permission P/2014/0752

·         P/2020/0303 49 Bron Y Waun, Chirk Wrexham - Construction Of New Vehicular Access.

·         P/2020/0267 Adjacent To The Old Post Office Halton Chirk Wrexham - Demolition Of Existing Building And Outline Application (All Matters Reserved) For 1 Dwelling.

JA proposed and GB seconded that the Council respond with no objection to all presented applications. The Council agreed.

 

189.    To present items for inclusion on the next agenda.
The following items were requested at the next meeting:

-       Consideration of plaque to thank the people of Chirk

-       Update on CCTV and Scottish Power street lighting

-       Emergency planning

 

 

Meeting closed at 21:00

 

 

 

Signed                                       Chairman                                                                    Date