MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD 24th APRIL 2019
Cllrs. Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),
Mr Brian Colley (BC), Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH), Miss Lynne Painter
Apologies for absence: Cllr. Mr Terry Evans & Mr Mark Roberts.
162. TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A TRUE RECORD OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 27TH MARCH 2019.
The draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 27th March
2019 are now put to the Council as an accurate record of
proceedings. The motion proposed LP and seconded MH was passed
163. TO CONSIDER ANY MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES RECEIVED ABOVE NOT REPORTED ELSEWHERE.
No matters arising.
164. TO CONSIDER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING MATTERS.
JA welcomed PCSO Martin Griffiths and welcomed PCSO Gareth Jones who
has taken the place of PCSO Dean Sawyer. They both cover Chirk and
the Ceiriog Valley, usually on different shift patterns. The Police
Update for Chirk was presented by GJ. 7 crimes are recorded and
additionally 1 reported case of anti-social behaviour. There was a
question over the level of reported crime in Chirk and efforts being
made to continually look at ways of reducing. NJ raised this at the
March meeting. Both PCSO’s indicated that the reporting level in
Chirk is low compared with other Wrexham County ward areas. Using
101 to make a report is confidential and also the email address
too. JA suggested that GJ should be introduced to the community
using the Newsletter. Both DG and EB commented that it was good to
see the presence of the locally based PCSO’s and gave their thanks.
GJ confirmed foot patrols are part of their job. LP invited them to
come to Lodgevale Park too. EB advised that it has been noisy when
the nearby licensed premises close late at night, comment was made
that not a lot can be done though. BH raised the traffic issues
when the Car Boot Sale held on Ley Farm each Sunday. It was advised
that this is no longer policed and marshals should be employed by
the organisers. FH thanked GJ for already meeting with the Wrexham
CBC Councillors for Chirk wards.
165. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES.
166. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM LOCAL MEMBERS – WREXHAM CBC.
TE given his apologies.
FH suggested he will hold over his report for the Annual Town
Meeting as there is an agenda item for a reports from local members
- Wrexham CBC.
SJ mentioned the planning application for Pen y Bont development may
make the WCBC Planning Committee agenda for Tuesday 7th
May 2019 meeting. He has been contacted recently on two occasions
by the WCBC Planning Dept. seeking the Chirk Town Council response
to the application ref: P/2018/0718. This is of concern and members
suggested that an acknowledgment request is made when we send
a response to a planning application as a consultee. SJ will
implement but did say this introduced another follow up step –
checking if an acknowledgement has been received.
TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON THE COUNCILLOR VACANCY.
TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE RECENT VISIONING EVENT HELD ON SATURDAY
23RD MARCH 2019.
· Noted from a leaflet promoting leisure train excursions, possibly Royal Windsor Statesman, that there is no scheduled stop at Chirk but Wrexham, Ruabon & Gobowen are listed.
· Chirk Castle had to close for a short while over the Easter holiday weekend because they had too many visitors.
Council members were encouraged to get involved and that Sub Groups
were soon to commence.
TO DECIDE ON WHO SHOULD REPRESENT ONE VOICE WALES ON THE BETSI
CADWALADR HEALTH BOARD STAKEHOLDER REFERENCE GROUP.
170. TO HEAR AN UPDATE FROM THE GRANT APPLICATIONS WORKING PARTY.
· PACT – grant of £50 – the cheque has been received and SJ is requested to go ahead and order the Bike Security Marking kits – as detailed in the grant application.
· North Wales Police & Community Trust grant scheme – Chirk Community Forum have been advised that their application has won the backing of the public vote and £2,500 is coming their way – adding at least one or possibly two new CCTV cameras in Chirk.
· Airbus UK – the public vote finishes next week. It is hoped we improve on the £1,000 grant guaranteed for being shortlisted. The winning project secures £7,000.
· Defibrillators for Pentre and Black Park – Kronospan have kindly donated £500. Approaches to Blakemore Foundation (Spar) and Co-op have been made in the hope they agree to make a donation.
– a grant scheme being run out of the US. An application for £5,000
that would secure a portacabin for a Manshed group. Had to submit
50 issues around the topic of renewables.
TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON FEASIBILITY OF SITING AN EV CHARGING POINT IN
TO RECEIVE THE NOTICE OF ANNUAL AUDIT 2019/20.
TO DECIDE UPON APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RECEIVED.
· Eileen Wiggins – 1st Chirk Scouts – request for financial support towards camping events as well as other challenge events for all sections, Scouts, Cubs and Beavers. Proposed FH and seconded DG to make a grant of £200. An amendment proposed MH and seconded NJ that a grant of £500 be awarded. The initial motion was withdrawn and Council voted on the amendment. A majority voted in favour to make a grant of £500.
Janos Barber – The Chirk Fun Day Team 2019
– request for financial support through a sponsorship
proposal. Proposed FH, seconded BH to a
simple grant of £100, an amendment proposed DG and seconded EB to
grant £200 tabled. The amendment fell and members carried the
original motion to grant £100. BC also suggested to
the Fun Day team that a grant request be made to the Glyn Wylfa
Board. They have recently supported Friends of Chirk Station and
Chirk Youth Football.
TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK – INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.
· A request from the secretary of the newly formed Chirk Town FC to use the Chapel Lane football pitch for pre-season training, June 17th to September. MH declared a personal interest and completed the requisite declaration. Members asked of the Clerk to research professional opinion on the level of use a public recreation football ground can sustain without having to take remedial action to repair. Members are conscious that the pitch must be kept in good condition to support the youth of Chirk to play on. This request must be put on the agenda for the next General Purposes Committee meeting. Members wish to provide a response as soon as possible.
· Repair of broken stone step – Millennium Gardens. The Clerk originally received a quote to perform a thorough restoration, repair and clean-up of the steps. Members felt the quote was on the high side and looked for a minimum fix – the broken step. Mossford Memorials have now quoted £150 plus VAT to repair the broken step. For health & safety members agreed to proceed, SJ to engage Russell of Mossford Memorials soonest.
ORDINARY BUSINESS SUSPENDED AT 6:55PM FOR THE ANNUAL TOWN MEETING AGENDA, COMMENCING 7:00PM.
GB and MH had earlier advised that they had prior appointments commencing 7pm and withdrew.
MM joined the meeting.
THE ANNUAL TOWN MEETING
No members of the public present.
First item of business – Chairman’s Report – Chirk Town Council. JA
read from a prepared report, then the Clerk was provided with a copy
for the record.
Second agenda item – Reports from Local Members – Wrexham CBC.
TE not present. FH provided his report from prepared notes. Areas covered:-
· WCBC finances
· Housing – bringing up to Welsh Government standards
· Committees FH serves on.
· Wrexham looking to improve their Markets. Tour of other market towns to discover best practice.
· Ysgol y Waun – improving standards.
· Chirk Court – Intergeneration project
· Dementia Friends Group established right across Wrexham County – working with Fire Service and Wrexham Football Club.
FH then took Members questions, mainly concerning Housing matters.
The Town Meeting closed at 7:25pm
ORDINARY BUSINESS AGENDA RESUMED.
TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK – INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE – Cont’d.
· Members advised of receipt of a One Voice Wales advice document on Payments to Members of Community & Town Councils – Implementing the Determinations of The Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales. In the case of our members we have delayed payment of the Basic Allowance until HMRC have responded formally to representations for this payment not to be subject to income tax deduction. SJ will keep members updated if there are developments.
Two planning applications, P/2019/0250 and P/2019/0270 have been
reviewed by the Planning committee by email exchange. Both received
“No Objection to the Proposal” responses back to the Planning Dept.
officers at Wrexham CBC.
· One Voice Wales/SLCC Joint Event – May 15th 2019 – Liberty Stadium, Swansea – Email outlining reasons to attend the conference. Due to the distance both members and Clerk have elected not to attend this year - Noted.
· Family Friends 5 - 11 – Email thanking Chirk Town Council for the donation of £100. Noted.
· Carers Trust North Wales – Email thanking Chirk Town Council for the generous donation of £250. Noted.
Llangollen Eisteddfod 2019
– Letter of thanks for the kind donation of £250.
TO REVIEW Q4/YTD EXPENDITURE AGAINST BUDGET AND BANK RECONCILIATION
TO APPROVE PAYMENTS TO BE MADE AS ON LIST ATTACHED.
177. TO PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA.
· SW has some queries which she will forward to SJ.
· FH – Mentioned that a British Heart Foundation stall he recently visited was offering free CPR kits. SJ advised that after the installation of the defibrillator at the Spar we were provided with a CPR kit. Available to any community group if more CPR training is to be given.
· NJ – raises the Major Incidents Policy which was mentioned at last month’s meeting. The clerk will include on an upcoming General Purposes Committee agenda.
· BC commented on the Glyn Valley Tramway Trust work being undertaken alongside Platform 1 at Chirk Station. A lot of trees and shrubs have been cut down. Asks what the timescales are to complete this phase of work ?
LP reports that the Brynkinalt Estate have plans to manage the
woodland adjacent to Shepherds Lane during the Summer. Part of
their woodland management plan. She also tenders her apologies for
the May AGM meeting.
Meeting closed 7:45pm.
Signed Chairman 29th May 2019