MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD 30th JANUARY 2019
Cllrs. Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mr Brian Colley (BC), Mrs Barbara
Humphreys (BH), Miss Lynne Painter (LP),
Apologies for absence: Cllrs. Mrs Sarah Williams, Mr Mark Roberts &
Ms Kirsty Cottam.
117. TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A TRUE RECORD OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 12TH DECEMBER 2018.
The draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 12th
December 2018 are now put to the Council as an accurate record of
proceedings. The motion proposed NJ and seconded EB was passed
118. TO CONSIDER ANY MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES RECEIVED ABOVE NOT REPORTED ELSEWHERE.
119. TO CONSIDER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING MATTERS.
Members reviewed the usual Crime Report for the 2 monthly periods
since the November meeting. 10 & 7 crimes are recorded for December
& January respectively. In addition, anti-social behaviour
statistics report 4 in each period. Noted. DS took requests for
clarification as well as outlining a small grants scheme, PACT
(Police & Community Trust), offering up to £250 to community &
voluntary groups. SJ has been emailed full details. EB asked if
applying may preclude eligibility to apply for other Police grant
schemes DS stated that it did not. EB asked if this scheme is
widely known about. DS believed it is publicised and is happy for
Councillors to spread the word. DG thanked the Chirk PCSO team for
recently visibility by undertaking walking patrols it has
reassured many residents. BH advised of an elderly resident in
Pentre who has been defrauded over a cold caller offering to cut
trees in the vicinity of their property. LP is currently with the
person. DS made the suggestion that Action Fraud be notified on
0300 123 2050. BC raised concern once again over speeding vehicles
and also an instance of a Wrexham licensed mini-cab running a red
light on Church Street. SJ had made some calls to Wrexham Council
Licencing and Enforcement but not made progress. DS suggests
reporting to 101 with the CCTV evidence. JA made reference to the
previous General Purposes Committee when it was agreed that a team
of volunteers would be looked for to operate and monitor the said
provision as we were getting more and more demand from the Police.
It was then agreed to make enquiries of the Oswestry CCTV group to
learn how it works for them. EB asked if there had been any further
instances of inappropriate activity at the Colliery Rd car park and
public toilets. DS advised there had been no reported activity of
late. EB is also concerned about instances of recreational drug
usage close to a licensed premise. Are the Police taking action to
stop this ? LP now joined the meeting and took the opportunity to
praise the 101 service it worked very well and also the PCSO from
Cefn Mawr who attended.
TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORT ON THE RECENT
ACTIVITIES OF OUR COMMUNITY AGENT.
TO RECEIVE REPORT FROM GENERAL
PURPOSES COMMITTEE MEETINGS HELD 17TH JANUARY 2019.
· Item 3. SJ advised that he has received notice from our current grass maintenance contractor Greenfingers Landscape Ltd that they no longer wish to work with Chirk Town Council and the agreement will cease on 31st March 2019. SJ is now actively inviting other parties to submit a proposal and quotation to take over the grass maintenance work.
· Item 4. SJ all three actions have been acted upon. Already we have one written quote for the Tree Inspection task. Members will be kept informed of progress.
· Item 6. JA advised that a facilitator for the Visioning Event has been agreed on, at a reduced fee of £250. The date of the event is Saturday 23rd March 2019 10am to 4pm. Members are very much encouraged to participate and it is hoped the outcome will be a coherent road map of further improvements making Chirk a fantastic place to reside.
Item 12. JA understood there was agreement to write to Mr Steve
Baily Head of Housing on this matter. SJ will draft a letter for
JA to review and sign off. This topic could also be suggested as an
agenda item at a future Wrexham Town & Community Council Forum
meeting. NJ understands that our local Wrexham Council members are
prohibited from commenting on housing allocation. BC does think
this is another example of where Town & Community Councils struggle
to be heard.
TO APPROVE UPDATE TO CHIRK TOWN
COUNCIL FINANCIAL REGULATIONS AND REVIEW INTERNAL CONTROLS & RISK
123. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES.
· GB touched on the recent installation of Defibrillators and whether the locations of all of these are properly recorded on the Welsh Ambulance Trust database. This should be firmed up currently there are 7 listed on the WAT directory (includes a duplication of the unit at the Parish Hall). SJ will look to see how this can be reconciled. Upon installation there is paperwork to complete registration. CPR is the key in saving someone and possible shock to the heart. It is suggested this be put on a future General Purposes Committee agenda to look at in more detail. On Tuesday 19th February 2019 there is a CPR/Defibrillator training session at Glyn Wylfa 4pm, all welcome.
· GB reported on attending an event at Theatre Severn of the Face2Face Performance Academy promoting the new Holroyd Community Theatre at Moreton Hall which will open later this year.
· MH reported on the recent launch of a girls only football team over at Chirk AAA Sports & Social Club,
· JA attended a Chirk & Ceiriog Valley Partnership meeting in Glyn Ceiriog as well as TE. Joe Bickerton of Wrexham CBC attended. His role has change, moving from Destination Wrexham to the Wrexham Discount Card scheme. Mention of the iBeacon initiative and that it needs more promotion and regular updating of information held. SJ to review with the working party the iBeacon implementation Chirk.
· JA attended a Public Services Board event held at Bodelwyddan (actually the second attempt late cancellation of the first date). A good deal of time was spent on how the Well Being of Future Generations Act will impact on larger Town & Community Councils particularly the annual report stipulated. JA happy to provide more details, but overall was not that positive over the event.
· EB attended a Christmas event at Ysgol Rhiwabon very encouraged by the school and pupil involvement.
124. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM LOCAL MEMBERS WREXHAM CBC.
TE reported that the field off Station Avenue, next to Chirk
Recreation Ground has a developer with detailed planning application
coming forward for 24 x 3 & 4 bedroomed detached homes. Chirk are
in the 2nd tranche for having footway lighting converted
to LED lamps, should be within 2 years. Another concern is the road
quality from Kronospan factory entrance to Whitehurst roundabout
many holes and broken surface. He suggests inviting Head of
Highways at Wrexham County Borough Council to meet with members. SJ
to write to Mr Pete Douthwaite. There is also a nasty hole in the
road surface on Lodgevale Park. EB asked if there is any evidence
of coordination over digging and patching the road surface. Often a
new surface is laid only to find it being dug up weeks later. The
utility companies would do well to share information to avoid this.
TE advises that he has managed to get Colliery Road Car Park on the
gritting route as the Health Centre is adjacent. It has been very
icy on occasions of late. Generally roads are in a bad state of
repair. Road sweeper is due to make a visit. BC raised the matter
of obstruction near to the roundabout on Station Ave. SJ advised
that he has been in touch with Jo Rodgers with an invitation to meet
members but this has not got very far. TE to raise with officers in
Wrexham CBC. Finally TE reports it has been a poor month for air
quality in Chirk. Kronospan have had an instance of a burst dust
bag and more besides. Matters appear to be going backwards. He
suggests Ian Oakes of Natural Resources Wales is invited to meet
125. TO DECIDE UPON APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RECEIVED.
· John Dean and Welsh Blood Bikes Wales a letter from Mr Dean of Longfield was read out. After over 30 years it was decided that his long-term health would be better served by having his left leg amputated from below the knee. As this has proved to be the right move Mr Dean is keen to repay the NHS in some way. He has the idea to become the first amputee volunteering with Blood Bikes Wales. An adaptation to one of the bike fleet to allow hand operation of the gear selector (a device known as a Klicktronic) is needed and John is looking for donations (the device itself costs £450) to Blood Bikes Wales. Proposed NJ, seconded TE to grant £200. Also to suggest Mr Dean applies for £250 through the PACT grant highlighted in minute 119.
· Friends of Chirk Station a letter has request financial support for the volunteer group that have adopted Chirk Station over the last 15 years. Their work leaves a great impression of Chirk on the many visitors. Proposed EB, seconded FH to grant £100 motion carried.
· Tenovus Cancer Care request for financial support towards their work across North Wales. Proposed MH, seconded LP to leave on the table motion carried.
· Chirk & Ceiriog Valley Partnership Information Boards request for financial assistance to refurbish. Proposed BH, seconded LP to leave on the table motion carried.
Carers Trust North Wales (formally Wrexham Crossroads)
request for financial assistance to continue to support unpaid
carers in our community. JA declared she is a director and took no
part in discussion. Proposed GB, seconded MM to grant £250
TO NOTE WELSH ASSEMBLY GOVERNMENT COMMUNITY & TOWN COUNCIL UPDATE.
TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.
· Staff expressed thanks to members for their Christmas Bonus.
· DS will enquire on 2 incidents on Boxing Day which appear not to be recorded in the monthly statistics and report to SJ.
· Sue Schofield has kindly presented Council with a copy of a commemorative booklet on Ifton Colliery 1913 1968. If members would like their own, a donation of £5 will secure.
· A Ranger from Ty Mawr wrote to advise on the state of repair on the mining artefacts in Brynkinalt Park. FH agreed to visit and take photos and report back to members. This can be brought back to a General Purposes Committee meeting. Mention of the Oswestry Man Shed made, they might be able to lend assistance in any renovation/maintenance needed.
· Giles Evans Ysgol Rhiwabon Email thanking EB for her attendance at their Carols and Mince Pie event. Noted.
· Wrexham LDP Consultation on Proposed Focussed and Minor Editing Changes Email inviting responses by 18th February 2019. Noted.
· Ifton Colliery Band Letter requesting Council support letter for a grant application to Ty Cerdd Youth Music Project. JA consulted by SJ and a letter has been sent. Noted.
· FCC Environment Letter inviting attendance to a Community Liaison meeting on 4th February. JA, GB & SW attended the last one. Noted and unfortunately not able to attend on this occasion.
· Chirk Celebrations and Light Committee CCd letter addressed to Head of Mondelez thanking the company and staff for their participation in setting up and setting down the Christmas Lights in Chirk Christmas 2018. Noted and SJ advised JA has also written on behalf of the Council.
Letters of thanks from recipients of a Christmas Hamper
2 letters of thanks received with heartfelt sentiment.
Noted members are grateful to our
Community Agent, Chirk Relief in Need Charity and members who
volunteered to help distribute.
TO REVIEW Q3 EXPENDITURE AGAINST
BUDGET AND BANK RECONCILIATION REPORT.
TO APPROVE PAYMENTS TO BE MADE AS ON
130. TO PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA.
· NJ notes that residents are putting out bins/boxes early up to 48 hours beforehand. This is resulting in littering and obstruction. In addition the team employed to collect/empty seem to drop but do not pick up recycling material. Members will consider any action to take at a future General Purposes Committee meeting.
· BC reminded members of 2 events at Glyn Wylfa that members are invited to attend. The CPR training mentioned in minute 123 and their AGM on February 22nd at 7pm around half hour duration.
Meeting closed 9:00pm.
Signed Chairman 27th February 2019