MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING HELD 28th MARCH 2018
Mr Frank Hemmings (FH), Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mrs Barbara Humphreys
(BH), Mr Terry Evans (TE),
Mr Gareth Baines
Apologies for absence: Cllrs. Mr Mark Holmes, Mr Mark Roberts, Ms.
Kirsty Cottam, Mr Newman James &
Declarations of Interest
No declarations of interest noted based on the published agenda.
152. TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A TRUE RECORD OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 28th FEBRUARY 2018.
The draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 28th February are now put to the Council as an accurate record of proceedings. The motion proposed JA and seconded BH was passed unanimously
153. TO CONSIDER ANY MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES RECEIVED ABOVE NOT REPORTED ELSEWHERE.
EB noted that the manhole covers along Church Street, in front of Hand Terrace and the Hand Hotel had now all been repaired. The meeting also heard that the drains were now all fixed by the Co-op and there was no surface water present.
BC noted that at the AGM of the Glyn Valley Tramway Trust the gentleman’s name is Ben Williams not Ben Whitehouse.
Councillors previewed the two posters for the dog waste and preferred the yellow poster, they asked if it was possible to remove the word “POLITE” from the poster to make the poster a bit more direct. Also asked if this sign could be put onto aluminium for extra strength. Ensure the signs are fixed using strong clips not ones that can easily be broken.
Dog waste is especially bad at Chapel Lane football pitch and around the recreational ground. It was noticed that sometimes people are picking up the waste then leaving the bags around and not using the bins provided.
The Kingdom report was reviewed, there has been seven visits to Chirk North and seven visits to Chirk South during February. But no fines issued. Most fines in WCBC were related to cigarette stumps and litter.
Mr John Clark has attended a Chirk Town Council General Purposes Committee meeting and was still looking for further transparency from the meeting – Shaun Jones is aware and will make further contact with Mr Clark upon his return from annual leave.
154. RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE FINANCE MEETING HELD ON 14TH MARCH
The draft report for the Finance Committee meeting held 14th March 2018 is now put to the Council as an accurate record of proceedings. The motion proposed JA and seconded BH was passed unanimously.
JA has recently attended a One Voice Wales meeting where they discussed the implementation of the new Security/Data Protection systems, One Voice Wales had stated that the systems proposed were slowly being agreed.
155. TO CONSIDER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING MATTERS
There was no Police representative at the meeting but FH had
received a report for the meeting, this was read out as follows
• 4 Criminal Damage – 3 Domestic , 1 Damage to address.
• 1 UTMV – Vehicle Taken.
• 2 Assaults.
• 1 Drugs – Male in Possession.
• 12 Road Related incidents attended by Officers.
• 9 Concerns for Safety.
• 9 Suspicious Circumstances.
Police Operation will be taking place targeting Main Routes in and
around the area.
SW commented that very often when the speed safety van is at the AAA’s it is reported all over Facebook, it was also noted that you can go to the North Wales Police website where the vans location is detailed daily for all to see.
JA reported there were two Police cars parked by Park Gate stopping cars early one morning but no feedback for the reason.
BC said there has been a report of Police knocking on peoples doors around Maes Y Waen but again no feedback as to why.
Several Reports of a white van travelling around Chirk and Lodgevale Park and residents were very suspicious of its intentions.
156. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES.
JA reported that Keep Wales tidy wants to make Wales litter free, one area they wanted to focus on was air pollution from balloons and Chinese Lanterns as these had become hazards over the last few years.
Gwersyllt Council are looking at the Lengthsman scheme, this is a project where someone volunteers or is employed to tidy up roadways and footpaths and generally maintaining the area. There has been a lot of support in their area for this project. In England some Councils budget for this in their Precept where they employ a person to clean up general rubbish, clean surface drains of leaves etc. that are blocking the drain covers, washing warning signage & painting posts and cutting back overgrown vegetation. SE was asked to investigate further and report back to the next meeting.
It was also discussed at the One Voice Wales meeting that over 80% of councils in Wales are members of One Voice Wales, it was suggested that Parish/Town Councils were now strong bodies and that they should have some representation on, and be part of, any framework decisions or policy making bodies in Wales e.g. public service boards. It was recommended that One Voice Wales canvas Welsh Government and Unitary authorities for local representation.
At the same meeting “Clustering” of Councils was discussed. This idea is for local Councils to work together rather than merge together. SE will email a copy the paperwork from the discussion to council members once it is available.
157. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM LOCAL MEMBERS – WREXHAM CBC
TE has received several complaints about Kronospan regarding dust/fibre particles and noise.
Mr Clark from 6 Maes Y Waen has telephoned Kronospan and complained about a noisy fan, they had turned the fan down and the noise had improved, however the following day it was just as bad.
TE thanked WCBC for cleaning the roads and paths around Chirk as they had carried out a good job
Ward inspections have been completed but WCBC are short of money to carry out some of the repairs required. Pot holes have been repaired in the area but they are prioritised by depth so some will take longer than others to get repaired.
BC asked TE if he was aware of a presentation from Flintshire CC regarding farming out services to help reduce costs to the Council, Wrexham do not seem to be so keen to farm out their services to reduce their costs. Why are Wrexham CC not taking advantage of Capital Asset Transfer? EB suggested TE & FH table the measure at a future WCBC meeting.
BH reported that road sweeping has been poor around Pentre and there are numerous pot holes that require filling repairing.
FH reported that a local development plan starts on 9th April and encouraged anyone who wanted to get involved to come along – Chirk Parish Hall – Council Chamber 31st May 2018 2pm – 5pm.
158. TO RECEIVE LEGAL PROTOCOL ON ATTENDANCE AT COUNCIL MEETINGS AND RECORDING OF ATTENDANCE
Distributed a spreadsheet showing Council Members attendance records since May/June 2017. SW concerned about lack of attendance by some Councillors. FH to contact the Councillors with low attendance records and remind them of their duties and obligations to attend Council meetings
159. TO CONSIDER CAFÉ WYLFA – WORKSHOP FOR WELLBEING
A quote of £350 has been obtained to hold a Workshop for Wellbeing. Steve Edwards was asked to forward the email and quote to all council members for review.
160. TO DECIDE UPON APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RECEIVED.
SE has one request for financial support:
Chirk AAA’s cricket club would like to purchase an electronic score board at a cost of £4000 and are asking companies and individuals to sponsor a League match at a cost of £100 per game. Suggested to donate £100 the motion proposed by SW and seconded JA – was passed unanimously.
Glyn Wylfa will also support this appeal, S Edwards will email the details to BC
161. TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK – INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.
Summary of matters raised.
· Several dates have been emailed through by Steven Owen (Insp 1426) for a visit to the 101 Police call centre. April 4th, May 1st, 2nd or 3rd It was agreed that Tuesday 1st May would be suitable. S Edwards to arrange the visit. The question was asked who knows to ring 101? Shaun to advertise the benefits of 101 in the next Newsletter and on Noticeboards plus anywhere else appropriate.
· Emergency planning. Representatives needed from the Council and other local organisations and local businesses. Leave on the table
· Walden Crescent/Cenotaph lights. David Hesketh has agreed to carry out an inspection of the Cenotaph lights and report back with the findings. S Edwards has today contacted them asking for an update but there was no reply prior to this meeting.
FH has also recently requested a meeting with David Hesketh to discuss the Cenotaph lights and the Walden Crescent street lights but again no reply.
· The monthly report from Kingdom Security was discussed at Minute 153
· Pick up after you’re dog – Discussed earlier at Minute 153. A quote for aluminium posters are £10 + VAT each, will look to order some once the final design has been approved by the Council. S Edwards to alter the wording on the yellow sign - Minute 153
· S Edwards thanked The Council and Mr Shaun Jones for being so helpful and friendly during his time here. JA proposed SE be invited to the Councillors lunch, agreed unanimously.
· JA asked if she could purchase tickets for the Mayors charity event. The motion proposed MM and was passed unanimously
1. Tracy Gilmartin-ward - One Voice Wales – Motions for 2018 Annual General Meeting See minute 156
2. Tracy Gilmartin-ward - One Voice Wales – Disposable plastic tax Noted
3. Llangollen International Eisteddfod – Thanks for Donation of £200 Noted
4. Aled Sion – Urdd National Eisteddfod - Thanks for Donation of £50 Noted
5. Eilwen Jones - Chirk Community Emergency Plan Noted
6. Julie Fawcett - Chirk Community Newsletter – Thanks for Donation of £1000 Noted
7. Mandi Southern – Chirk Court – Invitation to an open day 21st April Forward invitation to all council members.
162. TO RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM PLANNING SUB-COMMITTEE MEETINGS HELD 14TH MARCH 2018
The draft report for the Planning Sub-Committee meeting held 14th
March 2018 is now put to the Council as an accurate record of
proceedings. The motion proposed TE and seconded BH was passed
Erection of 1 No Triple Garage / Store area (Removal of 4 Existing
Garages and 2 Outbuildings)
Comments: The Council has no objection to the proposal.
Notification of proposed works to trees In Chirk Conservation Area:
T1 – Silver Birch: Remove.
T2 - Beech: Remove two lowest branches that overhang footpath and road, remove deadwood.
T3 - Maple: Remove one lowest branch overhanging footpath and road.
T4 – Maple: Remove.
T5 – Rowan: Remove dead branches.
2 Ceiriog Close, Chirk, Wrexham.
Comments: The Council has no objection to the proposal.
163. TO APPROVE PAYMENTS TO BE MADE AS ON LIST ATTACHED.
A list of invoices and payments (to 28.3.18) amounting to £12,023.80
& £65.02 (using pre-paid creditcard) was given to the Council and
were passed for payment (see addendum).
164. TO PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA
· TE to arrange a meeting with Ceriog Valley regarding Ambulance call out times.
· Arrange a meeting with Four Councils, Chirk, Glyntraian, Glyn Ceiriog & Llanarmon DC.
· Citizen of the Year – Why do the Finance Committee select the winner?
· Apologies for the next meeting from JA & SW
Meeting closed 8:30pm.
Signed Chairman 25th April 2018