MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD 25th MAY 2016
Cllrs Mr Dewi Evans (DE), Mr Barry Evans (BE),
Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),
Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH),
Cllr. Dewi Evans asked all present to stand as a mark of respect over the news that Cllr. Hilary Spragg passed away on Saturday 14th May 2016. She gave her all as a Councillor for over 30 years and will be sorely missed. After a minutes silence and reflection the meeting commenced.
Apologies for absence: Cllr. Mrs Claire Gough.
Declarations of Interest
Declarations of Interest: No declarations of interest made at this point. Later in the meeting when an Appeal for Financial Assistance was tabled an interest was noted by JA and BH see relevant minute below.
1. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL
Before the Chair Cllr. Dewi Evans
called for proposals for Chair of the Council for 2016/17 he thanked
all members of the Council and the Clerk for their support during
his second consecutive year as Chairman of the Council. It has
been a privilege to serve and felt honoured to have been Chairman of
the Council on three occasions.
2. RECEIVE CHAIRMANS SIGNED DECLARATION OF OFFICE
after signing the Declaration of Office and being presented with the
Chain of Office by Cllr Dewi Evans, Cllr. Jackie Allen took the
opportunity to address the meeting and thanked Cllr. Dewi Evans for
all his hard work over the last 2 years. She also said it is a
privilege to have been elected as your Chair and will perform the
role to the best of her ability.
3. ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL.
JA called for proposals for the post
of Vice-Chair of Chirk Town Council.
4. RECEIVE VICE-CHAIRMANS SIGNED DECLARATION OF OFFICE.
Cllr. Frank Hemmings signed the declaration of office.
5. ELECTION OF COMMITTEES
The following committees agreed and members elected thereto: -
General Purposes Committee. The Full Council.
Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Mr Dewi Evans, Mr Barry Evans, Mrs Suzanne Newell, Mr Michael Maxfield, Mr John Vant, Mrs Barbara Humphreys and Mr Brian Colley.
Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Mr Dewi Evans, Mr Barry Evans, Mrs B
Standing Orders Committee.
Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Mrs Suzanne Newell, Mr Barry Evans &
Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Mrs Suzanne Newell.
Consultations Committee. Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Mrs Suzanne Newell.
Parish Hall Sub-Committee. Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Mr Barry Evans, Mr Mark Holmes, Mrs Suzanne Newell, Mrs Barbara Humphreys, Mr Michael Maxfield and Mr Newman James.
Longfield Sub-Committee. The Full Council
Staffing Committee. Chairman, Vice Chairman, Mr Barry Evans, Mr Mark Roberts & Mr John Vant.
6. APPOINTMENT OF REPRESENTATIVES.
Ysgol Y Waun Chirk School Mr Barry Evans Proposed DE/Seconded NJ Motion Carried.
Federated Pentre Controlled Mrs B Humphreys.
Chirk Charities Mr N James, Mr M Holmes and Mr F Hemmings. At next meeting an additional Councillor to be chosen to take up the vacant Trustee position after the recent death of Mrs HJ Spragg.
Chirk Environmental Liaison Group Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Mrs B Humphreys, Mr B Colley, Mr J Vant, Mrs S Newell and Mr M Roberts.
Chirk Swimming Pool Trust. Mr B Evans.
Black Park Community Centre. Mr F Hemmings and Mr D Poppitt.
OneVoice Wales, Wrexham/Flint Area Regional Committee. Mrs J Allen.
Shrewsbury/Chester Rail Users Association. Mrs J Allen.
Citizens Advice Bureau. Mr F Hemmings
Chirk Air Training Corps. Mrs J Allen.
North East Wales Play and Playing Fields Association. The Clerk.
Penybont Liaison Group. Mr F Hemmings. Mrs B Humphreys and Mrs Jackie Allen.
Chirk Youth Football Club. Mr M Maxfield, Mr N James, Mr M Holmes and Mrs C Gough.
Footpath Liaison. Mr F Hemmings, Mr J Vant and Mr D Poppitt.
Chirk/Ceiriog Valley Partnership. Mrs J Allen.
Chirk Celebrations and Lights Committee. Mr F Hemmings, Mr N James, Mr M Roberts.
Chirk Recreation Ground Trust. All members of the Council.
Chirk Court Residential Home Management Committee. Mr D Evans, (Deputy Mrs J Allen).
Chirk Community Forum. Mrs Jackie Allen.
Wrexham CBC Community Council Forum. Chairman, Vice-Chairman and the Clerk.
Glyn Valley Tramway Trust In abeyance co-opt ?
Aqueduct Community Association Mrs B Humphreys.
7. MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETING HELD THE 27TH APRIL 2016
Accepted as a correct record proposed MM, seconded SN and motion
8. MATTERS ARISING
SJ brought Councillors up to date on open matters arising from recent meetings. 4 matters have been completed.
REPORT OF GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 11TH
Reference to item 5 on report. FH, NJ and JA have now met four
members of the Nash family concerning Grave V44. Oral report
given. At the next General Purposes Committee it is proposed by DE,
seconded BE for determination of the complaint motion carried.
REPORT OF FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 11TH MAY 2016
REGISTER OF MEMBERS INTERESTS
DATES OF MEETINGS OF THE COUNCIL
ATTENDANCE AT MEETINGS OF THE COUNCIL
Community Agent Funding Agreement presented by Wrexham County
Borough Council. This will provide an annual amount to more than
cover the payroll cost and initial equipment purchase. Agreed to
table at Finance Committee meeting in near future.
Complaint Policy Put policy in place ahead of finalising the
current matter of complaint concerning Grave V44. Will be
considered in detail at forthcoming General Purposes Committee
Public Meeting scheduled for 9th June 2016 and
publicity in place. After the request for Cllr. Poppitt to step out
of the Annual Town Meeting on April 27th 2016 which in
hindsight should have been rebuffed, DP asks if he may attend the
upcoming Public Meeting. Council confirmed full approval for this
Citizen of the Year 2015 Reception Council and Press asked to keep
the name of this years COY embargoed until the planned event on 17th
June 2016. Trevor Morris was selected ahead of 4 other
nominations. Councillors were delighted and believe Trevor to be
very worthy of the honour.
Glass on Recreation Ground Skate Park echoing the comments made
earlier by JA see minute 12.
Independent Remuneration Panel SJ is required to complete a return
on Members Allowances & Expenses for 2015/16 and submit by 30th
Black Park Play Area email from resident who is keen to see some
focus on this play area and money found to improve the equipment.
SJ agreed to meet once our Play Equipment Consultant has given some
ideas of what might be possible.
Variable Speed Road Signs SJ has met with Lee Waterhouse who is a
director of TWM Traffic Control Systems and gained a much better
understanding on the siting and implementation of 2 signs on the
B5070 on entering Chirk from North and South. Roughly speaking
£5,000 is the cost. It was proposed by BE and seconded by MM to
move forward, approve the spend and progress the planned
installation. Motion carried.
· Marie Russell WCBC Town & Community Council Forum, next meeting 16th June 2016. Please submit agenda items. Noted
· Steve Davies Chirk Youth Football U13/U14 Letter of thanks for sponsoring their new kit. Noted
· Friends of Chirk Station Letter of thanks for £200 donation. Noted
· Sophie Howe Future Generations Commissioner for Wales Invitation to discussion session at Glyndwr University 14th June 2016 at 2:00pm. Noted
· Vera Hanmer Disturbance caused by ball games being played in the road. Request PCSO to make a site visit and meet Ms Hanmer.
· Chirk & Ceiriog Valley Partnership Report on meeting held on May 3rd 2016. Noted
· Civic Support Officer WCBC Invitation to attend the Civic Service at St Giles Parish Church, Wrexham on Sunday 19th June 2016 at 11:00am. Noted
· Tim Phillips Fields in Trust 100th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, nominate a recreational space in honour of those who lost their lives in conflict. Proposed SN, seconded BE for Chirk TC to propose Longfield Recreation Ground as a Centenary Field. Motion carried. It will serve as a great muster point for the Remembrance Sunday parade/march. Also could the matter of the single goal post on Longfield be put on the agenda of a future General Purposes Committee meeting ?
· Lyn Cadwallader One Voice Wales Letter of thanks for renewing membership and request for details of Councillor nominated to attend Area Committee meetings. Noted
· Alison WCBC Electoral Services Team advice on procedure relating to filling a vacancy on the Town Council. Noted
· Alan Jones North Wales Miners Assn. Trust request for letter of support for Heritage Lottery grant application. Proposed DE, seconded DP to send a letter of support. Motion carried.
· Yvonne Owen Dee Valley Water Advice on new website and visual identity. Noted
Nightingale House Hospice Invitation to Summer Events June
7th & 9th
The following applications for planning consent received from the Chief Planning Officer, Wrexham County Borough Planning Authority under the consultation procedures for consideration and comment were dealt with at the Planning Sub-Committee held this evening ahead of the AGM..
· P/2016/0406 Two Storey Side Extension
64 Church View, Chirk, Wrexham.
Comments: The Council has no objection to the proposal.
· P/2016/0445 Display of 2 No Free Standing Stone Signs with Slate Plaques Positioned on Either Side Of The Entrance
Llys Y Waun, Maes Y Waun, Chirk, Wrexham.
· P/2016/0442 MDF Wash Water Pre-Heater
Kronospan Ltd, Holyhead Road, Chirk, Wrexham.
· P/2016/0453 Listed Building Consent For Conversion Of Ground Floor Of Chirk Mill To A Tea Room, Removal of Internal Wall to create a Counter Area for the Tea Room, Conversion of Outbuilding to Commercial Kitchen, Installation of Extractor Fan in the External Wall of the New Kitchen, Re-installation of Internal Doorway in existing Bricked-Up Doorway Cavity, Re-installation of Windows in Existing Bricked Up Window Cavities in External Walls
Chirk Mill, Chirk, Wrexham
P/2016/00474 Remove Ivy Off 4 Pine Trees
Glyn Wylfa Castle Road Chirk Wrexham.
Comments: The Council has no objection to the proposal.
In addition the report of the Planning Sub Committee meeting held on May 11th 2016 was accepted as a correct record proposed FH, seconded MM and motion carried.
20. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
· MM Reports that 4 Street Lights are not working.
· NJ Concern over unleashed dogs using the Recreation Grounds, particularly in the light of recent news of some 9 children attacked in a park by a dog. Notice boards need to state that dogs to be kept on a leash at all times. Suggest that a look at Byelaws that may support. Motion carried.
· FH Made reference to 20mph speed limit for all or part of Chirk, this has been raised before but in the light of news that Pontfadog now has a newly approved 20mph zone should this be re-visited. SJ is aware that it has taken over a year for the scheme in Pontfadog and that Wrexham Council now only request legal traffic orders once a year.
· FH Concern over the workload being placed on the Clerk seems more than his predecessor a year ago. Suggest a Staff Committee meeting is called to review.
· BC Reminder that the Charity Dog Walk starting at Glyn Wylfa is on May 29th 2016.
· BC Small sink hole in Maes y Waun which has simply been coned off. Clerk to write to Wrexham Council the service level agreement should see a repair within 14 days. It may relate to Welsh Water as the sewer is involved collapsed ?
SN No representative from Wrexham Council present. Disappointing.
· SN Walls/Railings New Rhos y Waun are in a state of disrepair. Co-op/Coronation Drive vicinity.
· SN 5 Maes y Waun has a hedge encroaching on the footpath.
· SN Last Sunday evening debris came off a lorry and hit windscreen. Also rubble debris seen on roadside by Bus Stop Chapel Lane. Lorries are not covered. Make Kronospan aware.
· MH Condition of football pitch at the school leaves a lot to be desired. Who is responsible for cutting ? Freedom Leisure/School contractor engaged ?
· BE Confirmed that listed Milestones in Chirk are being renovated.
· JA Come to the end of the meeting and grateful thanks for voting me in as Chair.
Meeting closed 9.15pm.
Signed Chairman 29th June 2016