MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD 25th SEPTEMBER 2019

 

Present

Cllrs. Mr Brian Colley (BC), Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH), Mr Terry Evans (TE),

Mr Mark Roberts (MR), Mr Gareth Baines (GB), Mr Michael Maxfield (MM), Mr Chris Burgoyne (CB),

Mr Newman James (NJ), Mrs Sarah Williams (SW), Ms Eleanor Burnham (EB) & Mrs Dot Griffiths (DG).
Mr Shaun Jones (SJ) Clerk to the Council & Mrs Karen Brown (KB)
newly appointed Clerk/RFO. 
Mr Jack Butler (JB) – Press – NWN.


 

Welcome

The Chair welcomed all back from the Summer break and welcomed Mrs Karen Brown.

 

To accept apologies for absence

Apologies for absence: Mr Mark Holmes, Miss Lynne Painter & Mr Frank Hemmings.

Declarations of Interest
None.

 

61.     TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A TRUE RECORD OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 31ST JULY 2019.

          The draft minutes of the Council meeting held on 31st July 2019 were reviewed; with the removal of the red text on page 3, the minutes were proposed as a true record by JA and seconded by GB. The motion was unanimously agreed.

 

62.     TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A TRUE RECORD OF THE SPECIAL MEETING HELD ON 16TH AUGUST 2019.

The draft minutes of the Special meeting held on 16th August 2019 were presented to Council as an accurate record of proceedings. The minutes were unanimously agreed.

 

63.     TO CONSIDER ANY MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES RECEIVED ABOVE NOT REPORTED ELSEWHERE.

          It was noted that Cllr Eleanor Burnham had withdrawn her resignation noted on minutes dated 31st July 2019. EB thanked everyone for their support.

          Minute 59: Business Investment District – Chirk would like to consider this and requested a presentation from Wrexham Council. TE suggested Becky Morgan in Wrexham to contact.

          Action: Clerk to arrange presentation.

         

64.     TO CONSIDER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING MATTERS.

          The NW police report was circulated to all. Councillors queried the figures as there was one theft which occurred in Pentre that was missing from the report. SJ/KB to check with PCSO M Griffiths if the police reports include Pentre. JA reported the recent assault on the aqueduct was being dealt with by West Mercia Police. The Council noted the financial support from the Police to Chirk Under 7’s football team.

          SJ highlighted a save the date invitation from Sergeant Luke Hughes to meet Inspector Whibberley on 15th October 2019. BC agreed to attend.

 

          SJ gave a speed sign update. The sign collected data for one week before the display was switched on. The display showed a slight improvement in speed. The data over a two week period showed:-

·         Arriving at sign – 24% were over the speed limit

·         The V85 data (85% of motorists) were travelling at 32mph

·         Leaving the sign – 45% were over the speed limit

·         V85 data (85% of motorists) – 35% were over the limit

          SJ/KB will establish the Go Safe threshold to get involved. 

          Members clarified the speed sign is not recording number plates and feedback that they liked the    smiling face. SJ confirmed no number plate recording and the image of the face helps with the bilingual aspect. Members stated that they would like the speed sign in two other locations. SJ confirmed the sign can be moved or a budget commitment can be made for next year for another sign.

          19:20 SW joined the meeting.

 

          Members highlighted the inconsiderate and dangerous parking taking place on Castle Road/ B4500 /Castle Walk and around Glyn Wylfa and Station Road. All agreed that the tourists and walkers need somewhere to park. A car park location needs to be considered and will be considered at a future General Purposes Committee.

          Action: SJ/KB to feedback parking issues to the PCSO.

 

65.     TO RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM STAFFING AND POLICIES COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 7TH AUGUST 2019.

The draft report for the Staffing & Policies committee held on 7th August were presented as an accurate record of proceedings. The report was unanimously approved.

Action: JA to provide the Clerk with a copy of the interview questions to be attached to the minutes.

 

66.     TO RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM STAFFING AND POLICIES COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 15TH AUGUST 2019.

The draft report for the Staffing & Policies committee held on 15th August was presented as an accurate record of proceedings. The report was unanimously approved.

 

67.     TO RECEIVE REPORT FROM GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 10TH SEPTEMBER 2019.

The draft report was presented as an accurate record of proceedings. The report was unanimously approved.

 

Matters Arising:

Item 6 – Aled Lewis will undertake the Coronation Oak work on Saturday, however the electric will need to be taken off. Action: MR to liaise with Mondelez to get electric switched off.

Item 5 – SJ has received the estimates for the work on the Lime Trees, this will go to a Finance Committee. 

Item 4 – SJ reported on adventure playground equipment for Longfield. DG had consulted with the mums and children using Longfield and reported that the children did not want a replacement adventure trail and instead wanted a running track or climbing wall. A discussion ensued and the Council agreed the following:-

1 – Remove the old adventure play equipment

2 – Delay any further implementation of new equipment

3 – Get costings of alternative play equipment

4 – Take to General Purposes Committee – SJ confirmed that funding has already been agreed.

5 – Then consult with children in the school

         

68.     TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES.

 

JA attended two meetings.

1 - Wrexham Town & Community Council Forum which covered a presentation on water and floods, a presentation from a fire officer relating to a formal strategy going forward for prevention and climate change. A presentation from the Chief Police Inspector and noted the reduced PCSO workforce and efforts to recruit into vacant positions. The Police also stated that the way in which crime is recorded will be changing. The final speaker was about an 8 week consultation on Libraries. Chirk will be informed of the dates.

 

2 - One Voice Wales Flintshire Area Committee which covered the changes to the future of Community Councils. Julie Jones from Welsh Government reported that the Town Council review recommended 47 changes, however Welsh Government will only be changing three.

1-    Mandatory Annual report

2-    Mandatory training for all Councillors

3-    Powers of Competence

During the conference Penyffordd CC raised the issue of their Clerk hand delivering the meeting summons. The current legislation states it must be hand delivered and cannot be sent electronic. SJ commented that all Councillors have been consulted and were happy to receive an emailed summons. SJ added that the standing orders have also been updated to reflect email delivery. EB felt that in law things have to be reasonable; and deemed it unreasonable to receive papers by hand delivery.

Action: SJ /KB to seek further advise from One Voice Wales

 

GB reported that £1,500 to fund defibrillators in Black Park and Pentre had been donated by Chirk Hospital – Circle of Friends. The newly formed Chirk Tourism Board discussed the poor decoration of the rail bridge adjacent to Chirk Station and improve the signage throughout the town.

 

CB reported that he had attended recent One Voice Wales training in Local Government Finance and highlighted the new model financial regulations. SJ reported that there is also a new Practitioners Guide. SJ/KB will present the model financial regulations at the next Finance Committee.

 

69.     TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM LOCAL MEMBERS – WREXHAM CBC.

 

TE reported that Wrexham CBC budget forecast is a further £10m cut over 2 years. A consultation meeting on the future of Libraries will be held on 17th October 2019 between 3-5pm. The World Heritage Site Luminaire Spectacle to celebrate the 10th Anniversary will be running from 7th – 28th October 2019 for 2 hours every evening. Ongoing issues are potholes, hedges and drains.

 

FH submitted a written report which covered environmental issues, Caseys, the green on Coronation Drive, Welsh Water, ward check. Chapel Lane will be re-surfaced and Coleg Cambria volunteers will be assisting with some work at the sheltered accommodation.

 

70.     TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM A RESIDENT ON THEIR CONCERN OVER LITTER ON CHIRK RECREATION GROUND AND MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS .

A detailed letter had been received from a resident and circulated to all members. Discussion took place about the provision for 1 or 2 additional bins at Chirk Recreational Ground and maybe some more around the town. All agreed this needed immediate action. Discussed options of new bins and prices which are currently being sought by the Clerk. Concerns were highlighted about extra bins increasing the refuse costs. SJ reported the recent improvements in the Wrexham collection. The following actions were agreed. Clerk to seek quote and take to the General Purposes Committee. Clerk to respond to resident. Also agreed to look at signage relating to use bins/CCTV operating and dog fouling.

 

71.     TO RECEIVE REQUESTED QUOTATIONS ON THE REFURBISHMENT OF THE CHAIR’S CHAIN OF OFFICE AND DECIDE WHICH SHOULD RECEIVE THE ORDER.

The Clerk reported on the two quotes for a new ribbon with cleaning and for alternative chain. JA proposed a like for like replacement of the new ribbon and clean with a max budget of £250 seconded by MM. Motion carried. Action: Clerk to arrange.

 

72.     TO CONSIDER THE RECENTLY PUBLISHED LITERATURE BY THIS IS WREXHAM CONSORTIUM – TOURISM SUPPORT FOR CHIRK – CAN IT BE IMPROVED?

The ’This is Wrexham’ map was shown to all members. It shows the river and railway line. Chirk Castle is a member and they have a grid reference. However, the aqueduct and viaduct (World Heritage Site) are not mentioned. Discussion around Chirk having its own map/leaflet with all the attractions, businesses, facilities and walks was agreed in principle. JA is attending a Chirk Tourism meeting on 26/09/19 and suggested waiting until the outcome of this meeting before any further action is taken. BC reported that the Sheep trail has been a great success for Glyn Wylfa. An iBeacon could be the driver for the leaflet. Money for the leaflet could come from Cadwyn Clwyd. Members unanimously agreed that a map for Chirk is the way forward but would await the outcome of the Tourism meeting first.

 

73.     TO CONSIDER A PROPOSAL ON THE PROVISION OF A PERIOD OF HAND OVER FOR OUR NEWLY APPOINTED CLERK/RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICER.

SJ left the meeting.

BC gave background information to SJ notice period which comes to an end on 30/09/19. KB has only been in post since 23/09/19. BC proposed to pay SJ for another month (October) 138 hours which can be drawn down between October, November & December to assist with the ongoing handover. CB said there should be formal contract in place for the additional 138 hours. JA said this should allow time for KB to see if the additional hours are required. The use of the computer/laptop, mobile phone and visitors will all be discussed at the Staffing Committee meeting. The members clarified that from 1st October 2019 KB will be the clerk. The one month extension to SJ contract was unanimously agreed.

SJ returned to the meeting.


  

74.     TO DECIDE UPON APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RECEIVED.

·         Val Brown, Alzheimer’s Memory Walk – donation request. JA proposed and SW seconded that the request be left on table as the Council funds more local Dementia charities.

·         Laura Ellis-Bartlett - Marie Curie - letter requesting donation. SJ reported that the Council has funded £100 for the last 3 years. JA proposed and EB seconded that £100 be donated. All agreed.

·         Hope House – Dark Run event on Saturday 19th October 2019. There is a 3 tier option. GB proposed £250 and get sponsor publication. DG seconded the proposal. 7 in favour and carried.

 

75.     TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK – INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.

Matters to note:

·         Environment (Wales) Act 2016 Part 1.  Guidance provided with a FAQ document from Welsh Government.  Also Reporting template included.  Suggest discussed in more detail at a future General Purposes Committee meeting.

·         Receipt of new Model Financial Regulations for consideration by Council.  These dovetail to the recently published Practitioners Guide.  Suggest this is included as an agenda item on a future Finance Committee meeting.

·         Society of Local Council Clerks annual membership renewal confirmed in the name of KB.

·         SJ has attended 2 sessions of the Planning Inspectorate hearings which are checking if the draft Local Development Plan (LDP) submitted by Wrexham County Borough Council is sound.  A response document giving more detail on Housing Provision – Matter 3 has also been received.   SJ and local resident Julie Davies-Jones have been putting the case to drop the greenfield site selected upon which to develop 180 houses and look at alternatives, including sites where there were houses originally.

 

Correspondence:-

 

·         Karen Humphreys – Secretary – Chirk AAA Ltd – Letter advising that the annual Bonfire and Firework Display will be held on Tuesday 5th November. Noted.  Question raised – will the Kronospan car park be used and will the police be at the event. SJ/KB to follow up.

·         Grant Thornton – External Auditors – Annual Return received – unqualified report.  Noted.

·         Amanda Pullen – British Heart Foundation – Letter of thanks for recent grant of £50.  Noted.

·         Rebecca Rogers – Glitzy Witch trail from the library to the Chirk Recreation Ground during October half term. SJ confirmed he is receiving regular updates.  Event noted. Members queried if Rebecca Rogers has insurance for this event. SJ/KB to check.

·         Gary Smith – FCC Environment – Letter of invitation to Community Liaison Meeting held on Monday 23rd September 2019 – TE agreed to attend but this evening advises he missed the event.  Noted.

·         Wales Audit Office – Making an Equal Wales a Reality – Email of invitation to event in Llanrwst on 19th September 2019.  Very short notice given.  Noted.

·         Elinor Shepley – Institute of Welsh Affairs – Email of invitation to workshop. Understanding Welsh Places. North Wales event still to be arranged and publicised.  Noted.

 

76.     TO NOTE PLANNING APPLICATIONS DEALT THROUGH THE PLANNING SUB-COMMITTEE BY EMAIL.

P/2019/0567 Application For Works To Tree Lime Tree (T1) To Front Of Property Subject To Tree Preservation Order Wcbc No. 59 – Reduce Crown By 4 Metres – Lift Crown By 6 Metres From Road.
The Gables 7 Station Avenue Chirk Wrexham LL14 5LU

The Council has no objection to the proposal.

 

P/2019/0578 Rear Extension To Increase Size Of Kitchen / Dining Room.
Waterside Barn Newbridge Road Newbridge Wrexham LL14 3JE

The Council has no objection to the proposal.

 

77.     TO APPROVE PAYMENTS TO BE MADE AS ON LIST ATTACHED.

A list of invoices and payments (to 25.09.19) amounting to £20,874.00 & £529.94 (using pre-paid creditcard) was given to the Council and were passed for payment (see addendum). The motion proposed JA and seconded GB to approve was passed unanimously.

 

78.     TO PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA.

·         Disabled swing – JA asked if all funds had been received. SJ reported that there are some outstanding funds from raffles etc. All funds to be given to the Clerk.

·         Major Incident Policy – to be on the next agenda.

·         Chirk Environmental Liaison Group – GB to be added to the membership. Unanimously agreed.

·         The General Purposes Committee to look at climate change.

 

 

Meeting closed at 20:58

 

 

Signed                                    Chairman                                                                            30th October 2019