MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD 31st OCTOBER 2018

 

Present

Cllrs. Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH), Miss Lynne Painter (LP), Mr Mark Holmes (MH),
Mr Frank Hemmings (FH), Mr Terry Evans (TE), Mr Gareth Baines (GB), Mr Michael Maxfield (MM),
Mrs Sarah Williams (SW), Mr Newman James (NJ) & Mrs Dot Griffiths (DG).
Mr Shaun Jones (SJ), Clerk to the Council.  Mr. Jack Butler (JB), Press – NWN.
 

 

Not Present: Cllr. Ms Kirsty Cottam.


Apologies

Apologies for absence: Cllrs. Ms. Eleanor Burnham, Mr Mark Roberts & Mr Brian Colley.

Declarations of Interest
No declarations of interest noted based on the published agenda.

 

83.      TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A TRUE RECORD OF THE MEETING HELD ON 26TH SEPTEMBER 2018.

The draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 26th September 2018 are now put to the Council as an accurate record of proceedings.  The motion proposed FH and seconded TE was passed unanimously.

 

84.      TO CONSIDER ANY MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES RECEIVED ABOVE NOT REPORTED ELSEWHERE.

Minute 68 – The Welsh Ambulance Trust (WAT) failed to show at the arranged meeting in October.  Still provided for discussions with First Responders and some Defibrillator training.  WAT have donated 3 Defibrillators to the Ceiriog Valley.

Minute 79 – STOP Kronospan Pollution request for a Public Meeting – a reply from Kronospan informs that they are unable to take part while the litigation over nuisance dust is underway.  Once this is complete, they are happy to attend.  Mr Sam Heyward has been informed and we await a reply.

 

85.      TO CONSIDER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING MATTERS.

Councillors met with PCSO Martin Griffiths and Insp. Steve Owens ahead of this evenings meeting.  There were some specific matters of concern that were raised.  Now members reviewed the usual Crime Report for the period since the last meeting.  16 crimes are recorded.  In addition, anti-social behaviour statistics report 16.  Noted.

 

86.      TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES.

FH as well as SJ attended a meeting held at Glyn Wylfa covering a Visitor Impacts Study - Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site (WHS).  There is a wish to spread visitors across the whole WHS rather than the current concentration seen at Trevor Basin.  It was commented that Glyn Wylfa has seen an increase in tourists visiting.  It was also mentioned that facilities in Chirk for visitors were thin and at the weekend some are even closed.  Generally speaking the lack of parking provision is also seen as a barrier. 

 

87.      TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM LOCAL MEMBERS – WREXHAM CBC.

FH recently completed a tour of his ward with the Wrexham CBC Streetscene personnel.  They identified some potholes that require repair as well as some blocked gullies.  The work will be scheduled but members should be aware that there are only 10 staff to draw on across the whole County Borough.  FH attended a workshop relating to the Fire and Rescue Service.  From a budget viewpoint they are looking to increase their share of Council Tax funding to £1.9m across the six N. Wales Local Authorities.  They are consulting on this – closing 2.11.18.  Finally FH also made mention of the Difficult Decisions consultation being conducted by Wrexham CBC and encouraged all to submit a response. Finally mention was made of the Fix my Streets app.  It was used to get a problem up at Black Park seen to – pothole.  Any member of the public can take a snap on their smart phone and report the issue.

TE also encouraged residents to respond to the currently open consultations.  The progress of the Local Development Plan is expected to reach the Executive Board and Full Council in the near future.

SW highlighted that some road users are still getting the new one way system at New Rhos-y-Waun wrong. The lights are not working on all signage.  TE agreed that there are cases of HGV’s causing problems when drivers stop to access the Chippy.  There are also cases of car users parking without consideration of other road users.  Better car parking is really a must.  An action for the Clerk is to write and proffer the support of Chirk Town Council for expansion of car parking provision.



 

88.      TO COMMENT UPON REVIEW OF ELECTORAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE COUNTY BOROUGH OF WREXHAM.
Mention was made the examples of wards like Cefn Mawr and Gwersyllt where 2 members represent residents.  It is difficult to know which member is responsible.  There is a view that single member wards should be across the piece.  Mention was made that some wards may suffer because there is a significant number of the residents that have not registered to vote.
In our wards, Chirk North and South members were satisfied with the current arrangement.  It was agreed not to submit comments to the review at this stage – leave on the table.

 

89.      TO RECEIVE INFORMATION ON REMEMBRANCE SERVICE AT CHIRK CENOTAPH – 11TH NOVEMBER 2018.
The Clerk brought members up to date on arrangements for the Remembrance Service at Chirk Cenotaph.  The usual invitations to take part will be sent shortly to local community groups and churches.  It was also mentioned that a short service at Pentre War Memorial at noon is to take place.  BH asked for the usual spruce up at Pentre ahead of Sunday 11th to be undertaken – SJ noted.  There will be further publicity published on the “This is Chirk” Facebook page to inform residents.

 

90.      TO DECIDE UPON APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RECEIVED.

·         New Book – Chirk Pals, Their Stories – Deryn Poppitt – a donation towards the cost of printing.  Book sales are expected to recoup and any surplus donated to the Royal British Legion.  Proposed SW, seconded DG to grant £250.  An amendment proposed NJ and seconded SW to grant £500.  The amendment was carried by a majority.

·         Charity Curry Night – Dinas Bran Year 10 Prince’s Trust group – proceeds to British Heart Foundation.  Proposed FH, seconded TE to grant £50 – motion carried.

 

91.      TO RECEIVE ANNUAL RETURN 2017/18 – EXTERNAL AUDITORS REPORT.
Members were advised that Grant Thornton returned our certified Annual Return on October 1st 2018.  This should have been received by the Council ahead of the legal requirement to post a notice of Conclusion of Audit by 30th September.  The Auditor General for Wales has issued a qualified audit report.  There was a miss-match between dates for public inspection of the accounts and when approved by Council.  Representations by the Clerk have been made and a response from the Welsh Audit Office is expected – the reason being there is no clear statement of this requirement in the Practitioners Guide.  FH asked for the thanks of members to be put on record for the efforts of the Clerk in completing this annual task.  The Conclusion of Audit notice has been published – dated 1st October 2018, on the website and community noticeboards.  In addition the Annual Return is now available to be downloaded from our website.

 

92.      TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK – INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.
SJ outlined recent attendance at various meetings/events:-

·         Boundary Commission presentation at Guildhall, Wrexham on 11th October 2018.

·         With JA, the Thank You concert (Successful funding of Roof Appeal) at Chirk Methodist Chapel, 12th October 2018.

·         NE Wales Digital Trails Masterclass – Theatre Clwyd, Mold – October 16th 2018.

·         Friends of Chirk Station – WW1 Tribute with the Chair and members of Council - October 27th 2018.

 

          Matters to note:

·         Confirmation given to full Council that the planning application ref: P/2018/0855 has been responded to whereby we approve based on the Conservation Officer’s determination. The application related to the replacement of a staircase at 3 Hand Terrace, Church Street, Chirk.

·         An email advising of the upcoming Annual Forum for the Clwydian & Dee Valley Area of Natural Beauty.  FH has agreed to attend on Thursday 8th November 2018. 

·         A notice from One Voice Wales of their Conferences for 2019.  Members noted.

·         Our insurers Zurich advise of two recent legal changes covering Tree Liabilities and Cemetery & Memorial Safety.  Members requested that this be considered in more detail at an upcoming General Purposes Committee meeting. 

Correspondence:-

·         Nightingale House Hospice – Letter enclosing the Autumn/Winter Newsletter. Noted.

·         Chirk AAA Football Club – Colin Heyward – Letter thanking the Council for the donation of £400 for the newly formed U19’s Team.  Noted.

·         Friends of Chirk Station – Letter informing the Council of their attendance at the recent Awards Night in Colwyn Bay.  FOCS picked up an RHS – It’s your Neighbourhood award - Outstanding and also the Norman Stewart Memorial Prize was jointly awarded to Prestatyn and Chirk – a pleasant surprise. Noted and congratulations.

 

93.      TO CONSIDER PLANNING APPLICATION P/2018/0876 – CHIRK CASTLE, CHIRK.
Members agreed that they had no objection.  SJ to respond accordingly.

 

94.      TO REVIEW H1 EXPENDITURE AGAINST BUDGET AND BANK RECONCILIATION REPORT.
SJ took members through the report and responded to any questions raised.  Members were satisfied and approved.

 

95.      TO APPROVE PAYMENTS TO BE MADE AS ON LIST ATTACHED.
A list of invoices and payments (to 31.10.18) amounting to £90,060.78 & £250.17 (using pre-paid creditcard) was given to the Council and were passed for payment (see addendum). Within the payments was a transfer of £79,000 to the Skipton BS – a savings account paying 1% - the funds are readily available.  The motion was passed unanimously.

 

96.      TO PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA.

To note:

·         NJ to FH – please be aware of comments received over the intensity of flood lighting by Chirk Leisure Centre that is shining into properties on Lloyds Lane and Pen -y-Waun.

·         The planning application P/2017/0421 Kronospan Landscaping Strategy has been granted under delegated powers.

·         LP enquired of the Kronospan OSB application – this is still to come to WCBC Planning Committee.

·         SW advises of recent School Governors meeting and the publication of a new Prospectus.  She will put in writing a suggestion that Chirk Town Council put in an advert.

Next Agenda:

·         Damage to steps leading into Millennium Gardens.

 

Meeting closed 8:10pm.

 

 

 

 

Signed                                    Chairman                                                                            28th November 2018