MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 13th DECEMBER 2017
Cllrs. Mr Frank Hemmings (FH), Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mr
Michael Maxfield (MM),
Mr Shaun Jones (SJ), Clerk to the Council.
Not Present: Cllr. Gareth Baines.
Apologies for absence:
Brian Colley & Kirsty Cottam.
Declarations of Interest
The draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 29th November 2017 are now put to the Council as an accurate record of proceedings. The motion proposed JA and seconded TE was passed unanimously.
TO CONSIDER BUDGET FOR 2018/19.
· Parish Hall House rent – in the estimate it is noted that a review at a future Finance Committee meeting will most likely result in an increase - £180 annually.
· The reserve fund for Parish Hall renovations will have another £20,000 set aside from the budget seeing the total reach £188,000 by 31.3.2019 (unless drawdown commences).
· Salaries have had increases incorporated to take account of both provision for new salary pay scales centrally agreed, annual staff reviews & a new 16 hours/week role to work in the Clerk’s office. This amounts to £5,091.
· Councillor training and Allowances increased to £3,000 taking account of £2,250 mandatory payments of £150 to each Councillor – recommended by Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales.
· Heating Oil for the Parish Hall has an additional £1,000 to provide for any sharp price increases.
· Budgets for Play equipment repair/renovation £4,500, New play equipment £4,000 and CCTV improvements £5,000 were agreed.
· For the Burial Ground new phase expansion £10,000 towards this project has been set aside.
TO AGREE THE PRECEPT FOR CHIRK TOWN
COUNCIL FOR 2018/19.
TO RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE
CLERK – INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.
Summary of matters raised.
SJ confirmed that after the site visit to Glyn Wylfa concerning
their planning application – P/2017/0916 a response was submitted
with 2 observations :-
· SJ apologises that this evenings meeting notice was not posted on the Pentre notice board because of the recent snow falls.
· The Clerk informed the Council that he has received an Internal Audit Plan from JDH Business Services Ltd. Council must formally appoint an Internal Auditor to carry out the internal audit. This matter was listed on a recent Finance Committee agenda but the number of attendees failed to reach the quorum. Their quotation is £359.00 plus VAT which includes an interim and final audit report. Members agreed to confirm engaging JDH Business Services Ltd as the Council’s Internal Auditor and for them to carry out an Interim Audit in December 2017. The Effectiveness of the Internal Audit is one of the themes set by the Welsh Audit Office for the 2017/18 financial period.
· Notice of an update to Local Planning Guidance Note 5: Houses in Multiple Occupation and Updates to Local Planning Guidance Note 16: Parking. An invitation for Chirk Town Council to send any comments upon reading the draft guidance. These must be received by 29th January 2018. Members agreed for this matter to be included on a future Planning Sub-Committee meeting agenda.
· SJ raised the Annual Community Awards presented by the High Sheriff of Clwyd. It has been suggested that Chirk Town Council consider making a nomination for a local community group – name withheld in accordance with the guidelines issued by the High Sheriff. It was proposed by EB and seconded by NJ to support the proposal – motion carried. SJ will complete and submit by the deadline of 31st December 2017.
· SJ and FH recently attended a meeting hosted by Insp. Steve Owens of North Wales Police to present an update and discuss policing of the Wrexham Rural wards. Statistics covering all the wards combined was presented with the offer of a tailored version for individual Town & Community Councils. SJ has requested this for Chirk N & S. The reporting methodology has been changed and SO was keen to stress that the general level of crime is pretty static. The Police are keen to hear any local intelligence to assist them with their work. Mention of the 101 service was also made, the majority of calls being answered promptly.
A planning application reference P/2017/0982 has been received.
Cllr Terry Evans immediately declared a personal and prejudicial
interest and left the room while this matter was discussed.
Members raised no objections to this retrospective application and
asked SJ to respond accordingly.
· Luned Evans of One Voice Wales, Wrexham/Flintshire Area Committee – writes to inform of an Age Well in Wales event planned for 16th January 2018 at the Catrin Finch Centre, Glyndwr University, Wrexham. Noted and SJ asked to circulate to all members.
· Lyn Cadwallader Chief Executive of One Voice Wales – wrote on the topic of the consultation by the Community and Town Council Review Panel. Encourages all member Councils to submit a response to the 4 questions raised. Noted and SJ asked to distribute to all members with a view to the suggestion that Chirk Town Council formulates a response and therefore being included as an action on a future meeting agenda.
· Mr John Pierce of Ley Farm – copied in on a “Notice To Remove An Alleged Obstruction” sent to the Rights of Way Dept. Wrexham CBC relating to Footpath no. 45. Noted.
· Laura Ellis-Bartlett of Marie Curie – writes a letter of thanks for the donation of £100. Noted.
· Cllr. Mark Roberts of Chirk TC – emails to advise of positive feedback from residents of Castle Walks to be passed to Cllr. Terry Evans and Wrexham CBC over the recent installation of barriers to prevent cyclists and scooter riders entering the nearby busy road – Station Avenue. Noted.
· Bridgett Drukker of Black Park Chapel Trust – writes an email to thank Council for the donation of £200. Noted.
· Malcolm Bobby of Black Park Community Centre – writes a letter of thanks for the donation of £1000. They continue to make approaches to organisations such as The Co-op and Tesco and expect additional support in 2018 Noted.
119. TO PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA.
· Parish Hall – a medium to long term review on its future.
Cenotaph – to look at undertaking some improvements ahead of the
2018 Anniversary of the Cessation of Hostilities on 11th
Meeting closed 8.10pm.
Signed Chairman 31st January 2018