MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING HELD 25th OCTOBER 2017
Cllrs Mr Frank Hemmings (FH), Mrs Jackie Allen (JA),
Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH), ,
Apologies for absence: Cllrs. Mr Gareth Baines , Ms Kirsty Cottam & Ms Eleanor Burnham,
Declarations of Interest
Declarations of Interest: No declarations of interest made at this point
84. TO CONFIRM AND SIGN THE MINUTES AS A TRUE RECORD OF THE MEETING HELD ON 27TH SEPTEMBER 2017.
draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 27th September
2017 are now put to the Council as an accurate record of
proceedings. The motion proposed NJ
and seconded LP was passed unanimously.
CONSIDER ANY MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES RECEIVED ABOVE NOT
Minute 72 – 27.9.2017 – JA requests clarification and suggests re-wording – The Clerk is the key
holder for the new Lodgevale noticeboard. The Clerk is happy to receive
community notices to be displayed on Town Council noticeboards – 5 in total
TO CONSIDER NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING MATTERS
TO HEAR PRESENTATION FROM EILWEN JONES, REGIONAL EMERGENCY PLANNING
OFFICER – COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLAN – CHIRK IN PILOT SCHEME.
TO RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM GENERAL PURPOSES
COMMITTEE MEETING HELD 2nd OCTOBER 2017.
RECEIVE REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM STAFF SUB-COMMITTEE MEETINGS
HELD 13TH SEPTEMBER 2017.
90. TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES.
JA & SJ attended the One Voice Wales AGM conference held at the Royal Welsh Showground in Builth Wells on Saturday 30th September. Mark Drakeford AM was the keynote speaker and the subject of his presentation was the future of town and community councils. A year long review and resultant report and recommendations is now underway. In the second session which saw the business of the AGM undertaken there were a number of motions put forward by member councils as well as the final motion which concerns a proposal over the membership fee for the next financial period. At our last meeting it was hoped for a view to be given by Chirk councillors on the tabled motions, unfortunately our meeting overran and so JA had no agreed stance and therfore did not exercise our vote. As it happens all motions were passed by a comfortable majority. The final motion concerning raising the membership fee was subjected to an amendment that was passed and saw approval for a 5% rise. This in part related back to discussions on the One Voice Wales legal constitution and it's finances, where approving an above inflation increase was felt to be prudent for the organisation overall.
BH advised Councillors of the recent appointment of a new
Headteacher at Pentre Primary School. Mrs Helen Pugh takes up the
position after half term.
RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM LOCAL MEMBERS – WREXHAM CBC.
TO REVIEW AND APPROVE REVISED RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING CHIRK
TO RECEIVE INFORMATION ON REMEMBRANCE SERVICES AT CHIRK CENOTAPH –
11th & 12th NOVEMBER 2017.
TO HEAR RECENT REQUESTS CONCERNING THE SKATEPARK ON CHIRK RECREATION
DECIDE UPON APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RECEIVED.
RECEIVE THE ORAL REPORT OF THE CLERK – INCLUDES CORRESPONDENCE.
· Rent Smart Wales have now issued a Landlord Licence to Chirk Town Council. This now makes us fully compliant under Section 21 of the Housing (Wales) Act 2014.
· After nominating Chirk Court Care Home in the Annual Wrexham Area Civic Society Awards for 2017 we have been advised that in the category of New Build they have received a Commendation. FH and SJ plan to attend the Awards evening on Friday 24th November 2017.
· A new Notice Board for Pentre is now ordered. Black Park have also requested that a Community Notice Board be arranged for their community. The external notice board at Chirk Parish Hall also needs to be replaced.
· The wood chips covering the play area on Offa have recently been mostly blown off – Storm Aileen mainly to blame. A long term solution is that the whole space be grassed over as we have had quotes earlier in the year to replenish the wood chips in the region of a £5,000 spend which if another storm comes through would be need to be spent again. Councillors agreed that grass is the better option but recognise that planting will have to wait until Spring 2018. SJ will advise our insurer of this in case they have any issue. Quotations for the work will be brought to members in due course.
· SJ advised Councillors that from the New Year all correspondence with Wrexham CBC Planners will be electronic. Currently we receive a hard copy of all planning applications we are consulted on. To enable this move Chirk Parish Hall should have a Data Projector available so that the Planning Committee can see the plan details up on screen. It was proposed by JA and seconded by SW that the procurement of a data projector be delegated to SJ. Motion carried.
· Ifton Colliery Band, now based at Black Park Chapel are wishing to apply for a WCBC Enabling Grant of £5,000 for the purchase of a set of tubular bells. A percussion instrument called for in some competition pieces. Chirk TC are asked to endorse the application. All members approved for SJ to add the support of Chirk TC to this grant application.
The Chirk Branch of the Royal British Legion are asking Chirk Town
Council to send a letter of support for plans to use 1 Hand Terrace
as a Community Hub where 3rd sector and community groups can utilise
a lounge meeting space there. Also an office for the Chirk RBL
would be operating out of the same premises. This has all come
about after the closing of the Chirk RBL Social Club and the
building now placed on the market to repay indebtedness. 1 Hand
Terrace is held in trust locally and will see a change of use from a
domestic premises to commercial. Members agreed for the Clerk to
send such a letter of support.
· Bethan Griffiths – Local Black Park resident – Advises of two issues, a council house used for temporary housing where occupiers are a concern and suggestion to curb speeding in the Third Street by installing a speed hump. Noted – both matters are in the remit of Wrexham CBC – FH agreed to raise with the respective department.
· Name withheld – Concern over potential breach of byelaws on Chapel Lane Recreation Ground. Noted – byelaws still being researched and then a decision on best approach to advise user to cease activity.
· Boundary Commission for Wales – Invitation to make representations over the latest proposals for Parliamentary Constituencies in Wales. Noted.
· One Voice Wales – Invitation to participate in a survey on the subject of Burial Authorities in Wales being asked if charges are made for burial of a child in their Cemetery. Noted – survey completed – currently there are some fees for a child to be buried in Chirk Cemetery.
· Wrexham Public Service Board - The Wrexham We Want – Invitation to comment on the two priorities in focus by 2nd January 2018. Noted – Individual Councillors may submit comment on an individual basis.
· Marion Morris – Grave Space I10 – Holly tree will be properly contained. Noted – Councillors appreciated the position in the round and were comfortable for the Clerk to accept the proposal for managing the holly tree going forward.
· Julie Houghton – Rent Cemetery field for 2 ponies. Councillors were unable to accede as the field has already been consecrated and were alert to the consequence of damage to the adjacent cemetery/church burial ground if the animals got out. The Clerk will write and advise.
· Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales – Annual report 2018/19 – invitation to respond to proposals. Noted – Clerk to send a response over concerns on how HMRC would view an annual payment to each Town Councillor – adding to our existing payroll system would be overkill.
· Chirk AAA Ltd – Notice of Organised Bonfire & Firework Event Sunday 5th November 2017. Noted.
· Welsh Government – Draft Guidance for Principal Councils on the Review of Communities – invitation to submit views on the report by 21st December 2017. Noted.
· Welsh Government – Town & Village Greens, revision of regulations concerning provision to allow end use as a town or village green. Opportunity to comment by 2nd February 2018. Noted.
TO CONSIDER PLANNING APPLICATIONS P/2017/0813 & 0814 – 1 AND 2 HOME
FARM COTTAGES, CHIRK CASTLE, CHIRK.
1 And 2 Home Farm Cottages Chirk Castle Chirk Wrexham LL14 5AE
Members were happy to leave to the Conservation Officer to
determine whether the applicant’s proposals are in keeping. Agrees
to approve on this basis.
P/2017/0814 Installation Of 2 No. Air Source Heat Pumps (To Rear Of Properties)
1 And 2 Home Farm Cottages Chirk Castle Chirk Wrexham LL14 5AE
TO REVIEW H1 EXPENDITURE AGAINST BUDGET AND BANK RECONCILIATION
TO APPROVE PAYMENTS TO BE MADE AS ON LIST ATTACHED.
PRESENT ITEMS FOR INCLUSION ON THE NEXT AGENDA.
Meeting closed 9:25pm.
Signed Chairman 29th November 2017