MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 26th APRIL 2017
Cllrs. Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mr Frank Hemmings (FH), Mrs Barbara
Humphreys (BH), Mr John Vant (JV),
WCBC Cllrs. Mr Terry Evans (TE) & Mr Ian Roberts (IR).
Cllrs. Mark Holmes & Mr Brian Colley.
Declarations of Interest
No declarations of interest noted based on the published agenda.
See Minute 151 where two declarations were made.
142. MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 29th MARCH 2017
The draft minutes for the Council Meeting held 29th March 2017 are now put to the Council as an accurate record of proceedings. The motion proposed JV and seconded FH was passed unanimously.
143. MATTERS ARISING
As noted in report of Finance Committee meeting on 24th
March, SJ advised that the review of the Document Retention Policy
as an agenda item for tonight’s meeting had been omitted by mistake.
REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES
146. REPORTS – LOCAL MEMBERS WREXHAM CBC
TE reported of an imminent
repair (2.5.17) of a noisy manhole cover on Holyhead Road (B5070).
With regard to nuisance dust reported in Duke Street there has been
some improvement of late. Nothing further to report as Council
disbanded ahead of fresh elections on May 4th 2017.
NOTICE OF ANNUAL AUDIT
At 6:56pm the agenda for the Ordinary Meeting was suspended to allow
for the Annual Town Meeting to commence at 7:00pm. A Summary Report
of the meeting to be written up by the Clerk.
The Ordinary Meeting Agenda resumed at 8:10pm.
OFFA/EWART ST. PLAY AREAS – LEASE AGREEMENTS
POLICIES FOR ADOPTION – DATA PROTECTION & USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
150. CLERK’S REPORT
Reference made to offer of new councillor induction training. After the election offers to new councillors will be for them to attend training as soon as possible. One Voice Wales have written inviting Councils to propose a maximum of two motions for debate at the upcoming AGM on Saturday 30th September 2017, these must arrive no later than 12 noon on Friday 30th June 2017. Members were advised that the Annual Chirk Fun Day will take place on Saturday 24th June from 12 to 4 p.m. At the Chapel Lane play area there has been some damage of the soft surface near to the roundabout. A quotation from Play and Leisure, the original installers, has been received of £420 plus VAT to make good - agreed the expenditure & motion carried. SJ briefly went through the Ongoing Matters sheet. With regard to minute 88 from the November meeting a quotation has been received from Mant Leisure, however, it is seen as very expensive at approximately £75,000 to provide an alternative play surface from the current play bark. For 2 consultations noted in minute 110 from the January meeting we failed to meet the submission deadline. Outstanding actions from minutes 123 in February and minute 130 in March are now complete.
151. APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
The first appeal for financial
assistance is from the Chirk Community Newsletter. Councillor
Allen & Evans declared a personal interest as they are serving
members on the committee. They remained in the room but took no
part in discussions. Letter outlines that the costs of producing
have risen and to offset this. There was a short discussion over
whether Council could cover the cost of an issue but that it is over
the £500 cap. SJ to check the reason for the limit in place. It
was proposed by SW and seconded by FH that a donation of £500 be
made - motion carried. A second appeal letter from the
Friends of Bellevue Park - proposed by FH and seconded by BH for
this to be Left on the Table.
· This year the Playday 2017 will take place on the 2nd of August. Noted.
· A letter from the Welsh Dee Trust and an accompanying survey will be distributed to all Counsellors. Noted.
· Chirk AAA’s Football Club writes to thank the council for the recent Financial Assistance given. Noted.
· Likewise the Welsh Air Ambulance acknowledges receipt of the recent £100 donation. Noted.
· Mention of a Local Council Markets Seminar to be held on the 30th of June made as we have had some discussions over the Saturday market being rejuvenated here in Chirk. Noted.
· A letter received from the Wales Audit Office with respect to matters relating to the 2015/16 audit are noted.
· The National Trust at Chirk Castle have written requesting a place to store chattels at the Parish Hall in a case of extreme emergency after a short discussion this was agreed.
· An offer from British Red Cross received offering training in first aid - to be circulated to all Counsellors.
· The Emergency Planning Officer for the North Wales Councils Regional Emergency Planning Service has written and requested for a survey to be completed. This has been actioned. In addition it was suggested that a short presentation to members would be of interest.
· An invitation to become a Local Council Charter Branch (from the NALC Tree Charter Communications Officer) was discussed and the decision made to leave on the table.
· The Alzheimer's Society write to thank us for our recent donation of £50. Noted.
· A request from a resident of Black Park for the Council to consider selling a small piece of land linked to the play area. Members are concerned over safeguarding of community assets and open green spaces and have asked the Clerk to write and politely the decline. Motion Carried – SJ will action.
Bank Reconciliation Report – to 31.3.17
Expenditure vs. Budget – to 31.3.17
155. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
· Mention of improved signage across Cemetery and Recreation areas.
· JV asked if the new WCBC Public Space Protection Order applies to all Chirk Town Council community assets - e.g. Recreation Ground ?
· MR asked TE a question about Castle Walks - barrier ?
· NJ made mention of the leaking tap in the Cemetery.
· The annual triathlon was well attended this year.
· It was proposed that a letter of congratulations be sent to the AAA's senior football team on their recent Cup win - carried.
· A date for the AGM was discussed and between the 10th and 17th of May the 17th was agreed.
Meeting closed 9:12pm.
Signed Chairman 31st May 2017