MINUTES OF THE SPECIAL COUNCIL MEETING HELD 7th MARCH 2017

 

Present

Cllrs. Mrs Jackie Allen (JA), Mr Frank Hemmings (FH), Mrs Barbara Humphreys (BH), Mr Michael Maxfield (MM), Mr Brian Colley (BC) & Mr Newman James (NJ).

WCBC Cllrs. Mr Terry Evans (TE).
Mr Bob Dewey, Planning Consultant

Mr Shaun Jones (SJ), Clerk to the Council.

 

Apologies

Apologies for absence: Cllr. Mr Deryn Poppitt.  Letter of resignation dated 4th March 2017 from Cllr. Poppitt with immediate effect.  Members requested the Clerk to write a letter of thanks for Cllr. Poppitt’s 4+ years’ service on Chirk Town Council and to wish him well.

 

Declarations of Interest

None.

 

124.    PLANNING APPEAL - P/2015/0225 – 3166718 – 26TH APRIL 2017
BWRIAD / PROPOSAL: USE OF LAND TO PROVIDE RESIDENTIAL GYPSY/TRAVELLER PITCHES (7 PLOTS) AND ERECTION OF COMMUNAL UTILITY BUILDING
LLEOLIAD / LOCATION: LAND WEST OF AND ADJACENT TO THE BUNGALOW, OLD BLACK PARK ROAD, HALTON, CHIRK, WREXHAM

Bob Dewey who was Head of Planning at Wrexham CBC up until 7 years ago is now a consultant on planning matters.  For CTC he has offered to present a case for the Planning Inspector on behalf of Chirk Town Council at the hearing scheduled for Wednesday 26th April 2017.  He has already undertaken some research on this case and spoke from an initial draft of his findings.

 

·         There were long discussions over Highways.  These seemed to be not going anywhere – finally decided to object on visibility on and off the proposed development site onto Old Black Park Road.

·         Hurried the refusal based on visibility (but not referred to).

·         Continued discussions and it now appears WCBC Planning Officer has notice from Highways that they no longer have any objection.

·         In BD’s view this should have triggered an invitation to re-apply and the appeal dropped.

·         The Appeal is going ahead.

·         Mention of the Road Depot for salt etc.  A 24/7 access site.  Residents on the proposed site are likely to have sleep disturbed, on noisy reversing beepers and scraping of buckets on concrete.

·         Additionally Car Booters queue from 4am on Sundays to access the site directly opposite.  Mention of the one way system that has been in place – but currently suspended.  Estimated up to 4,500 cars come to each Sunday event.

·         The airfield – used daily ?


It was decided to call a Public Meeting to allow BD to brief concerned residents on how to show our feelings concerning the suitability of the site.  The special treatment for Traveller families that they have to live outside settlements – a piece of positive discrimination. – Motion carried.

BD then went through the 9 points raised by CTC in 2015.  He would allow the following in his understanding of the legal issues surrounding :-

 

·         The development site is ridge top and the most elevated and exposed area of Chirk overlooking the Dee and Ceiriog Valleys.  Residential Development would not be allowed planning permission at such a location.

·         The site is within the Pontcysyllte and Canal World Heritage Site Buffer Zone.

·         The existing Black Park Road is narrow without pavements and is dangerous and hazardous for pedestrians and other road users – a real accident black Spot. Lorries ,cars, caravans using the site will add to these severe dangerous conditions.

·         The site is in the direct line of the runway at Chirk Airfield and the real dangers associated with landings and take offs. Fatal accidents have occurred as well as other incidents. In 2014  and 2006 2 persons were killed on each occasion during take-offs.

·         The Primary and Junior schools in Chirk and Pentre have a full complement of pupils.  There is also no safe route to either of the schools from this site.  (Safe route to school – provision)

·         The description of the proposed development is not correctly stated as it is apparently intended for the 7 permanent chalet homes to have 7 traveller caravans located with them. This could allow more to reside on the site and be overcrowded.

In addition mention was made of Screening from the A5 link road as well as the No Through Rd to Forest Hills.

Mention made if the development were allowed WCBC could see later legal action from the new residents themselves – basic human rights affected – sleep deprivation etc.  Old Black Park Road is often a diversion route when incidents on the A483/A5 cause hold ups.  40,000 vehicles a day use the main road A483/A5.

BD will continue working on his draft written statement and will keep members informed.

 

Council unanimously agreed to host the suggested Public Meeting and the date should be set soon after this meeting closes.

 

BD has quoted a fee of £500 plus incidental expenses to attend the proposed Public Meeting in Chirk and the Appeal Hearing in Wrexham.  It was proposed to accept this offer by FH and seconded NJ – Motion Carried.

 

125.    PLAYGROUND MAINTENANCE

Ray Parry Playground Services Limited have sent in a written quotation to undertake a program of renewal/replacement of worn out/tired equipment across all 7 Play Areas.  The sum of the work is £4920.00  NJ queried the potential to add £500 for an additional roundabout handle/support on Longfield.  It is hoped this will be avoided but SJ will get fuller detail if this item is to be included.  SJ has already negotiated the quote down to £4,400 if all the work is commissioned at one time.  A grant application to the WCBC Play Sufficiency Grants Program 2017 for £4,400 has been submitted but SJ does recommend we carry out this work as we have budgeted expenditure for play equipment maintenance.  If the grant were awarded the amount budgeted could be reassigned.  FH proposed and BC seconded for the Clerk to have delegated powers to complete the deal.  Motion carried.

 

126.    ANY OTHER BUSINESS
FH raised the case of supporting the residents of Ash Grove over the junk dumped in the fields behind them – vehicles, mobile buildings and other rubbish.  Would CTC support them by writing to the Health and Safety Executive backing up the incident report the residents have raised with HSE.  Members approved the action for the Clerk to action.


BC asked for those responsible for the ATM at the Spar store to be made aware that it is in a sorry state and not a pleasant experience to use.  SJ will action.

 

FH has some funds sitting in a Youth Club account that he wishes to hand over to CTC.  SJ is happy to receive the amount of c£500 and it will be ring fenced for spending on Youth projects in Chirk.P



 

Meeting closed 8:20pm.

 

Signed                                    Chairman                                                                               29th March 2017