CHIRK TOWN COUNCIL
CYNGOR TREF Y WAUN
MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD 25th NOVEMBER 2015
Cllrs Mr Dewi Evans (Chairman) (DE) Mr Barry Evans (BE), Mrs H J
Spragg (HS), Mrs B Humphreys (BH), Mr F Hemmings (FH), Mr J Vant
(JV), Mr B Colley (BC),
Mr M Holmes (MH), Mr M Maxfield (MM), Mr
N James (NJ) and Mrs S Newell (SN).
Guest Speaker: Mr Mike Barclay WCBC Play Development Coordinator
Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Mr M Roberts, Mrs C Gough, Mrs J Allen & Mr D Poppitt and WCBC Cllrs Mr T Evans and Mr I Roberts.
82. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None were reported.
83. MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETINGS HELD 28th OCTOBER 2015
The minutes of the Council meeting were confirmed as a correct record. Proposer BE/Seconder FH.
84. MATTERS ARISING
Introduced a rolling document detailing all outstanding actions from previous meetings.
Minute 63 30.09.2015 Hedge cutting in Pentre Completed.
67 28.10.2015 Verify if Planning Consent has been given.
73 28.10.2015 Suggest arranging a weekday meeting, the following councillors are willing to attend DE, HS, JV, BH, MM, BC & BE. What is the latest time in the day could this be arranged and also could a Saturday morning be considered ?
81 28.10.2015 Ken Skates AM has agreed to request Broadband rollout status in Chirk with BT Director.
81 28.10.2015 Liaise with Wrexham CBC/Welsh Assembly Transport Minister note the accident area of cross roads to McDonalds, Halton.
85. NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING
PCSO Dean Sawyer attended. Currently there is a road traffic incident on the A483 that DS will attend directly after his report. Provided November Crime figures. Having Halloween and Firework night in the period does often see a tick up in the figures more folks are out and about. However, this year there were no major issues to report. DS has spoken to a Paper Round Boy about a broken front light on his bike. He is delivering the Shropshire Star.
FH stated that the Employer have a duty of care for their staff to provide High Visibility clothing. He added that inconsiderate motorists in the main shopping area of Church Street caused gridlock (20.11.15) motorists are parking in the wrong places. BE commented that most days it is bad in this area. The idea of installing the 30mph reminder signs is a good one see minute 75. SN went on to comment that the parking in and around Chapel Lane and the Schools can block the way for buses. Maybe the idea of additional parking space provision should be re-visited. In the past looking at the Leisure Centre and Library were seen as potential sites. JV understood that on Bonfire night a bus was stuck in Colliery Road for 20 minutes because of inconsiderate parking. A review of the AAA event should take these knock on issues into account. BE reported that on the same evening the Maesywaun area was not affected badly by visitor parking in fact much improved. He did wish to report a very dangerous manoeuvre of an articulated lorry between the original Chirk Court entrance and the newly built new one. The lorry was seen reversing along the pavement. SJ mentioned the offer from North Wales Police to join a Community Speed Watch scheme. DE personally did not approve of using volunteers for this kind of activity.
86. REPORTS FROM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES
FH 5 Dec Christmas Lights turn on by Mayor of Wrexham 6pm. Lights installed. Tea Rooms no longer trading and a power supply lost. The power to the post outside the Tattoo Shop has been lost. This should get looked at. A small glitch by the Spar shop but should be corrected.
Santa coming by train - 10:00am - a volunteer Elf is needed.
Scan the poster for Glynwylfa Twitter News. SJ to action.
MH Bonfire event organised by the AAA Club went well. Numbers slightly down on the year before the weather not being too good.
DE As Chair represented the Council at three event/meetings.
· North Wales & Borderlands Canal Trust. Lion Quays. Mention of a new barge repair facility to be established in Trevor Basin money has been made available.
Iolo Williams - Welsh nature observer and television presenter was the Guest Speaker.
Various Trade Stands to walk around.
· Official opening of the new footbridge at Chirk Station giving access to wheelchair/push chair users. Invitation came from Network Rail.
· Chirk Court Poorly attended regular update meeting. HS was unable to attend. Reports given by the acting Manager of Chirk Court and the Newbridge Care Home Manager. Took up most of the time. Kevin Hughes provided further facts and figures relating to the new specialist Dementia Care facility being constructed and expected to open early in 2016. DE apologised for not having all the details with him at this meeting.
87. REPORTS LOCAL MEMBERS WREXHAM CBC
None present. This is the second consecutive meeting where no local WCBC members have attended. SJ to suggest a written report would be welcome if the Councillor(s) could not to join the meeting.
88. REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY
89. SCHOOL HOLIDAY PLAYWORK PROVISION
Mike Barclay of the Play Team at Wrexham County Borough Council has been a regular visitor at this time of year for the last three years. He has been invited this evening to provide some background to recent correspondence about next years planned Play Scheme. The information initially received advises of a 13% increase being asked of Town & Community Councils participating. MB explained how funding from this source pays for the Casual Play Workers and the 13% relates predominantly to have to uplift the hourly rate to include a holiday pay element. MB went on to explain that there is also a Welsh Government grant covering the centre cost of the Play Scheme co-ordinator. The new news is that confirmation of the grant for 2016/17 will only be announced in March next year which is very late. The Play Scheme commences in the Easter School Holidays. We are to expect a letter from Donna Dickenson explaining the status of the Play Scheme. Chirk Town Council will first determine a decision in principle to remain in the Play Scheme but the full cost detail will be unclear at this stage. Part of the decision could involve reducing the 3 sites currently to 2 Chapel Lane and Longfield. It is known that most of the children attending at Lodgevale do come to the other sites in Chirk so few would be affected by cancelling the Play Scheme site in Lodgevale.
90. CHIRK CEMETERY MATTERS ARISING
It was moved that this topic should be sensitively handled at a future General Purposes Committee meeting. Proposed HS and seconded BH and carried. The Clerk will call a meeting in the usual way.
It was resolved to engage a Graphic Designer to provide a suggested design of a logo for Chirk Town Council based on the Chirk Castle image on the Chairs Chain of Office. BC did suggest looking at the logo used by Chirk Golf Club as this may be a good basis.
92. BUDGET PRECEPT PREPARATIONS
SJ updated the meeting that the initial letter concerning the setting of the precept for 2016/17 has been received from Wrexham CBC. The deadline for providing a response is 31.12.2015. Detailed figures for the last financial reporting period, the current (with projection to 31.3.16) and budget for 2016/17 are being drawn up. These will be tabled at a future meeting. SJ has canvassed Councillors for future projects that financing is envisaged. BE made a suggestion for an additional project add to CCTV coverage for Maesywaun.
93. APPEALS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
· Dr Del Morgan One Voice Wales. Statutory Guidance for the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015. Their responses to the consultation. If interested, please request a copy from the Clerk. Noted.
· Luned Evans One Voice Wales. Local Area Committee meetings schedule. 26th January Chirk, 21st April Mold & 19th July Wrexham. Noted.
· Police and Crime Commissioner North Wales. Consultation on Policing. Ruabon Consultation meeting 13th January @ 6pm. Online survey available with responses required by 15th January. If interested, please request a copy from the Clerk. Noted.
· Wrexham Town & Community Council Forum Guild Hall, Wrexham 10th December 2015, 4pm Items for discussion should be submitted by 26th November. Noted DE, BE and SJ to attend.
· Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod letter acknowledging receipt of £250 donation. An offer to claim 2 free complementary tickets for 2016 event. Noted Chairman and spouse to be offered complimentary tickets for 2016 Festival.
· Wrexhams Play Sufficiency Assessment Consultation event 7th January 2016 6pm What support does Chirk Town Council require to help work towards play sufficiency at a local level. Noted.
95. PLANNING MATTERS
The following applications for planning consent received from the Chief Planning Officer, Wrexham County Borough Planning Authority under the consultation procedures for consideration and comment was dealt with.
Comments: Leave as is, no change to response given in May 2015.
Comments: No objection.
Comments: No objection.
A list of invoices and payments amounting to £10,855.76 were given to the Council and were passed for payment (see addendum).
Chairmans Account Bank Mandate
Approval given for new mandate to be completed with Cllr. Dewi Evans as sole signatory.
Chair invited to Methodist Church Christmas lunch and Craig Close Residents Assn. Lunch. Donations to both organisations are to be made in the usual course of events.
97. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
MM The Public Loos on Colliery Road Car Park have remained unlocked overnight for the last 2 nights. Who is responsible for securing each day ? Check with WCBC.
FH Pleased to advise that after reporting leaf mess in and around the schools that Wrexham CBC responded within 24 hours.
SN Mentioned that a lady did slip on leaves just recently so they are a safety hazard. Also wished to thank Cllr. Deryn Poppitt for hosting three training events in the Council Chamber covering all aspects of CPR.
BE Could the correctly coloured bulbs be used in the street lamps in the Church St area ? Replacements appear more orange than the original white light.
Meeting closed 9:20pm
Signed Chairman 16th December 2015